Reader reviews and comments on The Blood of Flowers, plus links to write your own review.

The Blood of Flowers

May 2008, 400 pages

There is 1 reader review for The Blood of Flowers

Amellia

Want to be taken away?
I have to say I really enjoyed this book. I actually "listened" to the book, and was slightly concerned in the beginning. If you enjoy audio books, you might be able to understand. Sometimes you "like" the voice, and other times you "hate" the voice. In this case...I didn't enjoy the voice for about the first hour...then couldn't wait to hear her again!

The story itself is about a girl who is forced to mature very young. Her father dies and her mother must move her and her daughter away from their village in order to survive.

I really don't want to give anything away. But I will say the author allows the reader to use all of their senses while reading this book. I could taste the food, picture the colors in the rugs, feel the pain of the characters. I fell in love with the main character, although all her decisions were not "great" decisions. Then again, haven't we all made decisions we had to live with? Isn't the point to learn from your mistakes?

I picked this up because of a review I read somewhere. Since, I have hunted down the author hoping she had written other books...needless to say she hasn't. This shouldn't stop the readers of the world. This is a book you'll love.

I have read the other reviews (elsewhere) on this book. It appears this is a "love it" or "hate it" book. I have to say it does not have a "cut in stone" ending, that some book lovers must have. But I felt the ending was perfect. The point of this novel (in my opinion) is not the ending, but the story itself. Oh, how I will miss this book.

• Book Jacket: The Winter Soldier
    The Winter Soldier
    by Daniel Mason
    Imagine the thousands of confounding cases doctors face routinely for which diagnoses are hard to ...
  • Book Jacket: Brother
    Brother
    by David Chariandy
    Brother is the brief, moving account of how a single, tragic moment in time can alter the course of ...
    The Islamic Enlightenment
    by Christopher de Bellaigue
  • Book Jacket: The Spy of Venice
    The Spy of Venice
    by Benet Brandreth
    Benet Brandreth's delightfully diverting historical thriller brings the Bard to vibrant life. ...

The Ninth Hour by Alice McDermott

A crowning achievement of one of the finest American writers at work today.

French Exit
    by Patrick deWitt

A brilliant and darkly comic novel from bestselling author Patrick deWitt.

Win The Clockmaker's Daughter