Reader reviews and comments on The Blood of Flowers, plus links to write your own review.

The Blood of Flowers

May 2008, 400 pages

There is 1 reader review for The Blood of Flowers

Amellia

Want to be taken away?
I have to say I really enjoyed this book. I actually "listened" to the book, and was slightly concerned in the beginning. If you enjoy audio books, you might be able to understand. Sometimes you "like" the voice, and other times you "hate" the voice. In this case...I didn't enjoy the voice for about the first hour...then couldn't wait to hear her again!

The story itself is about a girl who is forced to mature very young. Her father dies and her mother must move her and her daughter away from their village in order to survive.

I really don't want to give anything away. But I will say the author allows the reader to use all of their senses while reading this book. I could taste the food, picture the colors in the rugs, feel the pain of the characters. I fell in love with the main character, although all her decisions were not "great" decisions. Then again, haven't we all made decisions we had to live with? Isn't the point to learn from your mistakes?

I picked this up because of a review I read somewhere. Since, I have hunted down the author hoping she had written other books...needless to say she hasn't. This shouldn't stop the readers of the world. This is a book you'll love.

I have read the other reviews (elsewhere) on this book. It appears this is a "love it" or "hate it" book. I have to say it does not have a "cut in stone" ending, that some book lovers must have. But I felt the ending was perfect. The point of this novel (in my opinion) is not the ending, but the story itself. Oh, how I will miss this book.

• Book Jacket: An American Summer
    An American Summer
    by Alex Kotlowitz
    As a Chicagoan, I've become used to the most common reactions when I'm traveling and tell someone ...
  • Book Jacket: The Sun Is a Compass
    The Sun Is a Compass
    by Caroline Van Hemert
    Caroline Van Hemert fell in love with her future husband, Pat, in 2001, discovering they shared a ...
  • Book Jacket: Women Talking
    Women Talking
    by Miriam Toews
    Miriam Toews' Women Talking is a circadian novel, unfolding over a span of just a few hours and ...
  • Book Jacket: Confessions of an Innocent Man
    Confessions of an Innocent Man
    by David R. Dow
    It is circumstance that carries the wave that sweeps trendy Houston restaurateur Rafael Zhettah to ...

D-Day Girls
    by Sarah Rose

The dramatic story of the extraordinary women recruited by Britain's elite spy agency to help pave the way for Allied victory.

Courting Mr. Lincoln
    by Louis Bayard

A master storyteller at the height of his powers, delivers a page-turning tale of love, longing, and forbidden possibilities.

Book Club
Fly Girls
by Keith O'Brien

How five daring women defied all odds and made aviation history.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Women Rowing North

The instant New York Times bestseller

A guide to wisdom, authenticity, and bliss for women as they age.

A B Penny A T U