Reader reviews and comments on Origin, plus links to write your own review.

Origin

by Diana Abu-Jaber

Origin by Diana Abu-Jaber X
Origin by Diana Abu-Jaber

Jun 2007, 384 pages
    May 2008, 384 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Origin

Kim

Not your typical mystery novel
There are two mysteries in “Origin,” one concerning the murder of infants, the other the “origin” of the main character. While the mysteries in the novel are compelling, the pace is slower than what you’d find in traditional mysteries. I also found one mystery rather predictable, with the tie-in to the second to be weak. Yet – I really liked the book! Abu-Jaber’s writing is rich with sumptuous descriptions and extremely strong characters. I highly recommend this book for readers who enjoy lush writing, who can appreciate a book simply because the author turns a beautiful phrase. “Origin” is likely to appeal to readers who enjoyed “Christine Falls” and “The Savage Garden.”
Deborah M

The reviewers are right!
The protagonist in this book is so well drawn that the plot is almost secondary. I cared so much for her and about her. Well written with an unusual plot twist. As a California transplant who was raised in "snow country," her descriptions of winter in Syracuse were almost enough to send me running for a comforter.

I really loved Lena and love this author. Give this book a try. You won't be disappointed!

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: We Are Not Free
    We Are Not Free
    by Traci Chee
    Author Traci Chee is best known for her young adult fantasy trilogy, The Reader series. We Are Not ...
  • Book Jacket: The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    by Jennifer Hofmann
    The title of Jennifer Hofmann's perceptive debut novel with its bureaucratese strongly suggests a ...
  • Book Jacket: His Only Wife
    His Only Wife
    by Peace Adzo Medie
    21-year-old Afi is a talented Ghanaian seamstress eager to study fashion design, but her life is ...
  • Book Jacket: We Have Been Harmonized
    We Have Been Harmonized
    by Kai Strittmatter
    You'd be forgiven if, while reading We Have Been Harmonized, you momentarily mistook it for a ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

The Shadow King
by Maaza Mengiste

An unforgettable epic shortlisted for the 2020 Booker Prize, and named a best book of the year by the New York Times.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C