What readers think of The Summer of 1787, plus links to write your own review.

The Summer of 1787

Apr 2007, 368 pages

May 2008, 368 pages

There is 1 reader review for The Summer of 1787

Edward Kimmel

Opportunity to talk to your children
This was a great story book. We read it to our children (ages 11 and 12). What a story! What a learning experience! What an opportunity to talk to you kids about why America is who it is!

It is not a book you would just ask your kids to read; slavery, proportional representation, mercantile states vs agrarian states, all of that requires an explanation. But the concept of the book is to look at the "invention of the constitution" as the product of a group of real people. David Stewart discusses the personalities of the individuals and paints a picture of these vain, obstinate, egotistical PEOPLE. The stories of where they lived while they were in Philadelphia and how that affected the Constitution.

It was fun. A fun book to read to yourself. A great opportunity to talk to your children if you read it to them.

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

• Book Jacket: The Book of Goose
    The Book of Goose
    by Yiyun Li
    Yiyun Li's The Book of Goose is a story of childhood friendship between narrator Agnès, a one-...
  • Book Jacket: Big Red
    Big Red
    by Jerome Charyn
    Jerome Charyn made his name as an author of detective novels, and over the years he has taken his ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Survive You
    If I Survive You
    by Jonathan Escoffery
  • Book Jacket: Stories from the Tenants Downstairs
    Stories from the Tenants Downstairs
    by Sidik Fofana
    'Everybody got a story, everybody got a tale / Question is: Is it despair or prevail?' ...

The Bell in the Lake
by Lars Mytting

Members Recommend

Our Missing Hearts
    by Celeste Ng

From the author of Little Fires Everywhere, the inspiring new novel about a mother’s unbreakable love in a world consumed by fear.

Book Club Giveaway!