Reader reviews and comments on How Doctors Think, plus links to write your own review.

by Jerome Groopman

Mar 2007, 320 pages
    Mar 2008, 336 pages

There are currently 21 reader reviews for How Doctors Think

Pat (10/04/14)

Do All Doctors think like this?
I'm sure if I brought up the book to my doctor and my assumptions about what I felt, he would ask me to ask HIM what he thought. Surely not ALL doctors dislike those with serious illnesses. Why did you become doctors if you couldn't handle helping patients come back from near death or trying to keep the pain away? We who have chronic illnesses, especially those who are trying to be healthier, deserve warmth from our doctor. I'm angry because it breaks down trust and makes patients avoid coming in until too late!!

There didn't seem to be any opposing view points in the book.
Dayna (04/14/09)

Interesting Glimpse into the Mind of Doctors
This book shows how doctors diagnose patients. Some use snap judgments and others use various diagnostic tools...but usually it's a combination of the two. I feel that I've learned something about how doctors come to their decisions.
Mercedes (01/09/09)

A must read for every patient
This book should be given to every patient, so they can be on an equal footing and now how the system works and why it works the way it does. Well researched and explained from the inside out, it demystifies a whole area of life that all of us will have to deal with at some stage, it helps the patient understand the doctor and thus the doctor to understand the patient, and here is to understanding!
Julie (07/23/08)

How Doctors Think
A very readable account of how doctors form the medical diagnoses that they do and ways that we, as patients, can help. The real-life cases are fascinating, and I appreciated the fact that they all pretty much had happy endings. This book proved to be a real mind opener into the critical thinking skills that doctors must employ. Only once or twice did the author lose me in medical details. My favorite parts of the book were the real-life patients and how eventually their medical mysteries were resolved by physicians who listened to their patients.
Kathleen (07/23/08)

Insightful and enlightening
In today's labyrinth of medical care, it is critical to be an educated and involved patient. How Doctors Think is an invaluable aid in understanding how doctors arrive at an accurate diagnosis. The epilogue is particularly useful for patients and caregivers who want to be partners with their doctors in their health care.
Elizabeth (07/23/08)

Interesting and informative
How Doctors Think is an interesting examination of the ways in which doctors arrive at medical diagnosis. By explaining the methods students are taught to use when dealing with patients, Groopman illustrates how misdiagnoses can occur, and steps doctors and patients can take to avoid them.

Groopman uses real case studies to demonstrate the many ways doctors good intentions can go wrong. In the initial chapters, he also offers suggestions to lay people about how to ask questions that can direct doctors to different ways of thinking. Towards the end of the book, however, he seems to be focusing more specifically on doctors themselves, and the advice for the patient is omitted. I found the book to be interesting and informative, with some good suggestions to take to my next doctor's appointment.
Penny (07/23/08)

Doctor and Patient Communication
If you have ever wondered how a doctor (your doctor) thinks, this book will help you figure it out. The book contains a variety of case studies from people of all ages that help explain the thinking process doctors' use to make a diagnosis. It is a book that can be continually referenced. It is a must read for patients, and should be recommended for doctors. Everyone who reads How Doctors Think will have a better understanding of how the right communication between a patient and doctor can impact the correct diagnosis and the right course of treatment. This is a book you will want to pass on or recommend to friends and family. Thank you Jerome Groopman for a much needed book.
Peggy (07/23/08)

Do Patients Think about how Doctors Think?
I never really thought that much about how doctors came to their diagnoses or conclusions. To a certain extent like my parents and grandparents, doctors have held a more than human status in my mind.

This book does not really tell me anything that logically, I could have figured out for myself, given some time and thought regarding the subject. However, it is highly unlikely that I WOULD have given the time to the subject unless facing some type of medical emergency (which, thank god, I have not had to). But it does bring the thought processes of doctors in various situations down to a more human level--and, as a result, helps me with any interactions with doctors that I may have in the future.

An easy, interesting, and sometimes disturbing and thought-provoking read.

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    Of Arms and Artists
    by Paul Staiti
  • Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen
    So Say the Fallen
    by Stuart Neville

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.