Reader reviews and comments on Better, plus links to write your own review.

Better

Feb 2008, 288 pages

There is 1 reader review for Better

shubhamvada mathur

Better than complications!
I had attended this bookreading at the BnN near Lincoln Center in NY months ago. After that, I happened to hear the NPR podcast of the D.C. bookreading so I finally went and got the book and it's worth it!

Better talks about just that, how doctors can become better. Even among doctors, there is unfortunately a bell curve and instead of opposing that thought, he recommends we instead attempt to find out where we are placed on that curve in the quest to understand and thus, find strategies to perform better. This is a novel concept in the field of medicine, because after all, aren't all doctors supposed to be equal and shouldn't we all have the same outcomes given that we practise in the age of EBM or evidence based medicine. The future of medicine, and perhaps rightly so, is in performance review and improvement. And after thinking and talking and researching about it excessively, he says it boils down to 3 simple things: diligence, doing right and creativity. He gives some examples in the book, the ones I liked best were of course, the cystic fibrosis clinics, the surgeons in Iraq, and the surgeons in an OPD teeming with patients with limited resources in a district in India.
The overall structure of the book was a little hard to get, it seems like a string of essays or pieces combined together to make a fit and then the ending, not really a summary, but perhaps material from another essay. The book is interesting because he commonalizes many echoing questions, thoughts, resistances to change, ethical principles and obstacles that all of us doctors face from time to time.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: White Too Long
    White Too Long
    by Robert P. Jones
    Religious scholar Robert P. Jones doesn't pull any punches in his latest book, White Too Long: The ...
  • Book Jacket: Caste
    Caste
    by Isabel Wilkerson
    In 2020, the word "racist" remains taboo. Conceptually, racism is so culturally unacceptable, so ...
  • Book Jacket: The Deepest South of All
    The Deepest South of All
    by Richard Grant
    Author Richard Grant frequently uses his wanderlust to explore diverse stories that create a complex...
  • Book Jacket: Piranesi
    Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke
    Our First Impressions readers were delighted with this speculative novel by Susanna Clarke, her ...

The Blind Light
    by Stuart Evers

A multigenerational story about two families bound together by the tides of history.

The Exiles
by Christina Baker Kline

Win Agent Sonya

Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy

Master storyteller Ben Macintyre tells the true story behind the Cold War's most intrepid female spy.

I I M B T Give T T R