Reader reviews and comments on The Ministry of Special Cases, plus links to write your own review.

The Ministry of Special Cases

by Nathan Englander

The Ministry of Special Cases by Nathan Englander X
The Ministry of Special Cases by Nathan Englander

Apr 2007, 352 pages
    Apr 2008, 352 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Ministry of Special Cases

Julie Zelman

Get it for your book club!
Like his earlier short story collection, this will draw you deep inside a world that is both new and familiar. I have recommended this book to many people, and each came away saying "Wow". It reminds me of "Life of Pi", not in its themes or characterizations, but in the way it deeply affects the reader. I think this would be a good book club pick, because there are so many facets in the book, so many directions in which the discussion could go. There are many characters in the novel, and none are given short shrift, all are fully realized, intriguing people. Amazing.
Kim

2007 Favorite Book for a reason!
The Ministry of Special Cases, by Nathan Englander, tells the story of a Jewish family caught up in the political corruption and upheaval of mid-70's Argentina. As one of BookBrowse's Best Books of 2007, it has all the things you'd expect from high-quality fiction: Great writing, deep characters, involving plot.

One of the things that makes this book so interesting, though, is that it changes character throughout, gradually shifting from a light tale that almost feels like a fable, to a serious family drama, to a tale that's ... well, much darker. Its intensity really sneaks up on the reader. It's rare that a novel takes me completely by surprise, but this one sure did!

It's a very powerful book, and one I highly recommend.

• Book Jacket: I Found My Tribe

Other People's Houses
    by Abbi Waxman

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes