Reader reviews and comments on When Pride Still Mattered, plus links to write your own review.

When Pride Still Mattered

Sep 2000, 544 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for When Pride Still Mattered

Gary Easter (04/17/14)

History of the game
Not only was this book outstanding for understanding the history of football, but the changing of society during the Lombardi years, and insight into the game and the path Lombardi took.
scarf (10/12/11)

It was ok
From an investigational standpoint, this book is filled. I wanted to hear more about Lombardi's childhood. Skims over it, which is a bit disappointing. Coming from this author I expected more I guess.
Mark_Bledsoe (03/04/04)

A very balanced look at a great coach, and interesting man
Bob (05/17/02)

GREAT
Supertuffguy@hotmail.com (04/18/02)

I had to read this book for a sports ethics class. From the beginning I was skeptical about how all the informatin would tie into a story of Lombardi's life. It did not take me long until I could not set this book down. I would recomend this book to anyone who has an interest in football or who is curious about Lombardi.
Anonymous (08/12/01)

Scot W Goller
This author has captured something that is not lost, but perhaps buried deep in our national persona. He finds in a legend the complicated intricacies of greatness. The man Lombardi, never a simple character, rose as can all of us, above the petty, despite our own shortcomings. This powerful book reminds us that un-perfect people can rise to great things. Dignity, honor and sacrifice above self, is not very popular as a concept these days. Lombardi's legacy is to remind us that without these virtues, we cannot move forward. Congratulations on a great and inspiring read Mr. Maraniss.

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

The Girl Before
    by JP Delaney

An enthralling psychological thriller of duplicity, death, and deception.

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk
    by Kathleen Rooney

"Effervescent with verve, wit, and heart" - Booklist, starred review

Win No Man's Land

No Man's Land
by Simon Tolkien

The Sellout
    by Paul Beatty
    Paul Beatty's The Sellout was one of those books that flew somewhat under the radar when it was...
  • Book Jacket: Ruler of the Night
    Ruler of the Night
    by David Morrell
    Amateur sleuth Thomas De Quincey is back in a mystery set in Victorian England. This time, he and ...
  • Book Jacket: A List of Cages