Reader reviews and comments on The Space Between Us, plus links to write your own review.

The Space Between Us

Feb 2007, 352 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Space Between Us

Pam

Another stellar novel by Thrity Umrigar
Fast becoming my favorite author, every book I've read by Ms. Umriger becoms my new favorite novel. This one also takes place in India, exploring the lives and tenuous but tender relationship between a monied woman and her dedicated long-term help. In an interview, the author said it took her six months to write this story which she has been working on her entire like. Apparently, she was raised in a home with help, and the relationship's complexities are fleshed out like someone with a huge heart, and first hand experience. Very well done.
Louise Jolly

FANTASTIC!!!
Thrity Umrigar's "SPACE BETWEEN US" is a novel of moral integrity, social/class division, emotional isolation, profound passion and intimacy.

Ms. Umrigar has given us an achingly beautiful, mesmerizing and engrossing story of culture, intimacy and bonding between social class. Both Sera and Bhima are women shaped by suffering who find a common thread in each other. How is it possible for two women from such starkly different backgrounds to capture and cultivate a bond such as that shared by Sera and Bhima? In 'THE SPACE BETWEEN US' Umrigar weaves a compelling story of two unforgettable women and their struggles, their crises, their triumphs and the captivating tale of their lives intertwined by need, circumstance and intimacy.
Mary Ann Dubash

A universal theme with wonderful color
Although this story features a particular ethnic group and locale, its themes are universal to all men and women. The story, which draws the reader in, describes in poignant detail the workings of a family and a marriage. Although very familiar with the culture(mine by marriage) the wonderful characters and story itself will hold the reader in its grasp until the end. Bravo, and keep them coming, Ms. Umrigar!

• Book Jacket: New World, Inc.
    New World, Inc.
    by Simon Targett, John Butman
  • Book Jacket: New World, Inc.
    New World, Inc.
  • Book Jacket: The Electric Woman
    The Electric Woman
    by Tessa Fontaine

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

Eternal Life
    by Dara Horn

The award-winning author returns with an ingenious novel about what it would mean to live forever.

Win The Comedown