What readers think of The God Delusion, plus links to write your own review.

The God Delusion

Jan 2008, 464 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The God Delusion

James M

A masterpiece of logic
In this thoroughly enjoyable book, Dawkins strips down religion and confronts it with its antithesis, science, providing a veritable truck-load of ammunition for atheists worldwide. He expresses his consternation at the venomous influence of religion on logic and morality. This book has the ability to liberate a mind incarcerated by irrational faith and spiteful dogma. One can only lament that there are some who obstinately dismiss this masterpiece of logic on the grounds of their baseless religious beliefs.
Andrew K

This compelling, ultimately comprehensive conviction that God is a metaphor is surgically precise.
After reading this book I have claimed Richard Dawkins as a brave hero and have embraced atheism as a compassionate, pro-human, pro-civilization, unifying body of work that promises salvation of this planet from harmful mythologies and horribly divisive fictional, outdated belief systems. I recommend we all read this and then move on with our lives shedding the costly weight of religion and its costs of our time and money in its wasteful, unproductive rituals.
Wes A

Simplistic Illogic
As an open-minded Christian, I make a point to listen to opposing views. Dr. Dawkins theses are that since there are some great scientists who are atheists and since religious people do bad things and can be evil, there must not be a God. For such an eminent scientist there is remarkably little in the way of scientific argument. He glories in trotting out great scientists who did not believe. I could make a list of who's-who of the greatest scientists and philosophers in history who did believe. He also cowers away from facing the most compelling philosophical and scientific arguments these people and others make. The most laughable point he makes is that since believers have done bad things, religion is dangerous (no logical correlation, logic 101 stuff.) The irony in the fact that he thinks religious people are stupid and delusional while making the same mistakes he attributes to us seems to go right over his head. 'Simplistic Illogic' (new word, I like it) indeed. So easily refutable point-by-point. If this is the brightest mind the atheist worship, faith is quite safe. It is probably futile to argue with a man who denies his own soul, but it is fun.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Code Breaker
    The Code Breaker
    by Walter Isaacson
    What makes humans human? It's a mystery that has inspired philosophers and driven scientific ...
  • Book Jacket: Genesis
    Genesis
    by Guido Tonelli
    Popular science books represent an important niche in non-fiction. They build a bridge between ...
  • Book Jacket: Buses Are a Comin'
    Buses Are a Comin'
    by Charles Person, Richard Rooker
    Charles Person was just 18 years old in 1961 when he became the youngest of the first wave of '...
  • Book Jacket: Firekeeper's Daughter
    Firekeeper's Daughter
    by Angeline Boulley
    Angeline Boulley's young adult novel Firekeeper's Daughter follows 18-year-old Daunis — ...

The Girl in His Shadow
by Audrey Blake
The story of one woman who believed in scientific medicine before the world believed in her.

Crossing the River
    by Carol Smith

A powerful exploration of grief that combines memoir, reportage, and lessons in how to heal.

Ariadne
    by Jennifer Saint

A mesmerizing debut novel about Ariadne, Princess of Crete for fans of Madeline Miller's Circe.

When men are not regretting that life is so short, they are doing something to kill time.

A S I T closet