What readers think of Night, plus links to write your own review.

Night

Jan 2006, 144 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Night

Night_Hater

Terrible Book
I think this book is too complicated to understand. Teachers should not be teaching this book to students because its a hard read and the book is very terrible.
Thomas Chambeyron

Where is the emotion?
This book is the blandest retelling of the Holocaust I have ever read. There is no attempt made to ground any of the characters or give them emotive personalities. I am left astounded by how praised it is as the book reads like Elie forgot his own story and is drawing from the scraps of a fragmented memory. Whenever something supposed to be dramatic or heartfelt happens I am left dumbfounded due to the lack of connection to the characters or their story as I've seen it all before in better renditions of the Holocaust. This book is undoubtedly overrated. The style of writing is slow and dull, with almost every line ending in a full stop needlessly. The dialogue feels forced and robotic along with the dragged out scenes where nothing really happens. To end this review how did Elie manage to write himself as the most uninteresting protagonist in all of literature?! Please explain!

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    by Franny Choi
    Calamity can cohabit with joy, and you and I have, on some plane, accepted that absurd reality. We ...
  • Book Jacket: Bloodbath Nation
    Bloodbath Nation
    by Paul Auster
    In recent years, Booker Prize­–nominated novelist Paul Auster has increasingly turned to ...
  • Book Jacket: The Nazi Conspiracy
    The Nazi Conspiracy
    by Brad Meltzer, Josh Mensch
    The Nazi Conspiracy by Brad Meltzer and Josh Mensch was a big hit with our First Impressions readers...
    Yonder
    by Jabari Asim
    The captivating historical novel Yonder turns an intimate lens towards the tragedy and survivorship ...

The Mitford Affair
by Marie Benedict
An explosive novel of history's most notorious sisters, one of whom will have to choose: her country or her family?

Members Recommend

Moonrise Over New Jessup
    by Jamila Minnicks

"Jamila Minnicks pulled me into pages of history I'd never turned before."—Barbara Kingsolver

This Other Eden
    by Paul Harding

A novel inspired by the true story of Malaga Island from the Pulitzer Prize–winning author of Tinkers.

Wade in the Water
    by Nyani Nkrumah

A gripping debut novel of female power and vulnerability, race, and class set in a small Mississippi town in the early 1980s.

It's A G T Me

We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are