Reader reviews and comments on The Worst Hard Time, plus links to write your own review.

The Worst Hard Time

Sep 2006, 352 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for The Worst Hard Time

Suzanne G.

So much history
This was an excellent book: a true story about the the dust storms of the plains during the Depression. Timothy Egan carries a person around the Dust Bowl, showing the reader the courage of those who stayed to endure the terrific tragedy affecting their fields and homes. I learned much from the book, much more than I gleaned from The Grapes of Wrath and other stories.
Mimi in Arizona

A must read for every American
The subject matter is very timely for our country today. It feels like you're reading about our current economic meltdown, not about a period 80 years ago. Scary, haunting and incredibly well told. So worth the time you'll spend reading it. Thank you, Mr. Egan.
Robert Sego

Touching the Essence of the Land and the People
Timothy Egan provided tremendous insight into a question that has plagued me since I was able to think independently. What were those people even doing there? With my vanishing family roots in the Amarillo area, the last vestiges of which are my 96 year old aunt in assisted living there, I experienced the haunting, teasing character of that land and the incredible rollers that smashed into those dusty lands in the early 50's.
When everything seems to fly in the face of reason and logic, It helps to have someone present the why's and wherefore's that led to those seemingly insane conditions. It helps even more when those why's and wherefore's are presented so well. A great work!
meo

The Worst Hard Time
Timothy Egan has a unique gift: Relating facts in a way that touch touch your heart!
Dorothy "Dorie" Lee Streeter-Pearsall

I am so glad you Told the Story!
We were there! I was born in 1931, my sister in 1929. We lived in Manter, Kansas in Stanton County and moved to eastern Kansas in 1938. I have pictures of the "rollers" and remember the wet sheets at the windows and the sand we scooped off of the porch after a dust storm. Both grandparents (Streeter/Wartman), aunts and uncles, cousins all survived by helping each other. An experience I don't care to live through again.
Sharon Britton

Almost Unbelievable
This is a wonderfully readable account of human experiences and suffering during the Dust Bowl. It is a great companion read to The Grapes of Wrath. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn about one of the truly great environmental disasters of our history.

• Book Jacket: Butterfly Yellow
    Butterfly Yellow
    by Thanhha Lai, Daniel Suarez
    Voted 2019 Best Young Adult Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

As readers, many of us hope ...
  • Book Jacket: Olive, Again
    Olive, Again
    by Elizabeth Strout
    Voted 2019 Best Fiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

It's been a big year for literary ...
  • Book Jacket: Solitary
    Solitary
    by Albert Woodfox
    Voted 2019 Best Debut Author Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

According to statistics from ...
  • Book Jacket: Becoming
    Becoming
    by Michelle Obama
    Voted 2019 Best Nonfiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

BookBrowse hosted a Book Club ...

Book Club
Evening in Paradise
by Lucia Berlin

"Berlin's new book is a marvel, filled with deeply touching stories about lives on the fringes."—NPR

The In-Betweens
    by Mira Ptacin

"A fascinating history of an American community of Spiritualists... a fabulous read."
    —Elizabeth Gilbert

Win Butterfly Yellow

BUTTERFLY YELLOW

Winner of the BookBrowse Award for Best Young Adult Novel, and the overall highest rated book of the year!

The Big Holiday Wordplay