What readers think of Into Thin Air, plus links to write your own review.

Into Thin Air

May 1998, 378 pages

There are currently 36 reader reviews for Into Thin Air

jeyaraman

a must read
The way he introduces the members who were with him, the way he explains about high altitude mountaineering ... He takes you to the chilling top of me Everest. then when you lose the members one after another... you just cant control your emotions.

Highly gripping tragic tale.
Christine

Amazing
This was by far the best book I have ever read. I could truly say its the first one I have read all the way through. I really enjoy all the information you give throughout the book. I will always remember this book and definitely recommend it to others.
A reader

read Into thin Air three times, saw the movie once
I enjoyed this book because it was a true story, I enjoy nonfiction more than fiction. Jon writes as if I was right there on the mountain. He is an amazing writer with such an extensive vocabulary. His descriptions of his experience kept me spell bound. The reason I read the book in the first place is to help understand my new son-n-law better. He is a mountain guide and has been in many places in and outside the USA. By reading this book I felt I got inside his mind and understood his passion for climbing and all the danger around it. I am grateful for that. Jon seems that he did his very best in describing his experience on Mt. Everest. He was gracious, humble and knowledgeable. He is a fantastic author. He should not take anything personally, he did his best from all accounts and I am sorry that he feels such guilt. What a terrible thing to go through for all of them.
Keep writing, Jon. You are amazing!!!!

A Reader
Buhnay

Phenominal.
I have done two school reports on this book. Jon Krakauer's writing style makes the reader feel as though he climbs the mountain along with the expedition, and the reader learns of Everest's horrific history. Though we all know Krakauer makes it down, I found suspense pulling me to the edge of my seat every step of the way.

I highly recommend this book to everyone- fiction and non-fiction fans alike.

My whole family has read the book more than once, as well.

Beautifully written, disturbingly descriptive, and suspenseful to the last page- Into Thin Air was fantastic.
Potlicker

Into thin Air
Where to start? What an amazing book! This is the second book I have had the pleasure of reading by Mr. Krakauer. I am at a lose to put into words for what an awesome writer I feel Krakuer is. He does a splendid job of putting the reader on Mount Everest right along with him. To feel his triumph, or lack thereof. In my eye he is no mortal man, "he is god like". He knows just how most men feel about themselves, and he is able to express it where others cannot. My wife went on and on about how stupid she thought the whole expedition was. But I understood, and where I did not Jon Krakuer was able to make me understand.I would like to thank him for the ride and can't wait till the next. I would say God bless you Jon Krakuer but I think he already has.
Kathy

Into Thin Air
Best book I've read in years. Just couldn't put it down. Made me wonder why people would do this, and some did it more than once, climbing to top.
Stu W

Unlike other mountianeering writers, Krakauer shows a wonderful ability to see so much more than simply rock and ice. His affinity with the sherpas, how he describes the moods and atitudes of other climbers is exceptional and what makes this account of Everest stand out as a cracker-jack yarn.
TJFord

This is the best non-fiction book I've ever read.
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTT!

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: Klara and the Sun
    Klara and the Sun
    by Kazuo Ishiguro
    Klara and the Sun by Nobel Prize-winning author Kazuo Ishiguro drops the reader into a fictional ...
  • Book Jacket: The Lost Apothecary
    The Lost Apothecary
    by Sarah Penner
    Sarah Penner's debut novel The Lost Apothecary was rated 4 or 5 stars by 22 of our 23 First ...
  • Book Jacket: The Spymaster of Baghdad
    The Spymaster of Baghdad
    by Margaret Coker
    For the last 17 years, the country of Iraq has known almost constant violence and political upheaval...
  • Book Jacket: Hades, Argentina
    Hades, Argentina
    by Daniel Loedel
    Daniel Loedel's debut novel, Hades, Argentina, opens in 1986 when we meet Tomás Orillo, a young...

The Northern Reach
    by W.S. Winslow

What is the weight of the stories we choose to tell...and the burdens of those we hide?

The Lost Apothecary
    by Sarah Penner

A forgotten history. A secret network of women. A legacy of poison and revenge. Welcome to The Lost Apothecary.

The Narrowboat Summer
by Anne Youngson
From the author of Meet Me at the Museum, a charming novel of second chances.
Win This Book!
Win Band of Sisters

Band of Sisters
by Lauren Willig

"A crackling portrayal of everyday American heroines…A triumph."
— Fiona Davis