What readers think of Raising Cain, plus links to write your own review.

Raising Cain

Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys

by Dan Kindlon, Michael Thompson Ph.D.

Raising Cain by Dan Kindlon, Michael Thompson Ph.D. X
Raising Cain by Dan Kindlon, Michael Thompson Ph.D.

Apr 1999, 298 pages
    Apr 2000, 255 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for Raising Cain

Robert Crawford

Raising Cain
This book was amazing. I am a senior in AP Language and Composition and I chose this book for my final and I do not regret it. This book really captures the reader's mind showing how and what someone, mainly a young boy, is thinking or how he feels by his posture, his attitude, his physical expressions, etc... It really makes you think about every little thing that can positively or negatively influence a child's mind. I recommend this book to all parents or anyone who is interested in getting into a adolescent boys mind to see what he really needs.
Meli

Brilliant Book...
From beginning to end, I learned something about boys. I thought the authors did a great job explainig what boys go through when they are children and later on when they become teenagers. I truly recommend that soon to be parents that are expecting a boy read this book.
MM

Answered prayer
Raising Cain was recommended to me by a Masters in Counseling student/ friend of mine. She was reading it for an independant study. I've shared with her my concerns about my 7 yr old son. She casually recommended me to read this book. So that night I went to the local library and found it. I have really enjoyed it. It has helped me reflect on many questions that I have had of the male gender: Childhood/ teenage friends, husband, brothers, nephews, etc. I'm an very thankful for the information this book shared with me.

I will also consider giving this book as a gift to new Moms.

I quite often pray that God will help me to be the best parent I can be to my children. I believe he led me to this book in answer of prayer.

Blessings,
M
lissadez

I only wish that someone had given me this book when I first gave birth to my already 16 year-old son.
Why? Simply because if I knew what I know now about male emotions and how to handle them, I probably could sleep better at night knowing that I raised my son with confidence since birth. Somehow after reading this facinating book I realize that many of the case studies are so factual and real as indeed I did experience those conflicts with my son on certain occasions..... His father ..... now that is a different case scenerio... Perhaps had I left him years ago I could have been a better mother by raising him single-handedly. His father is just a forceful man himself.... TOOOOOOOO aggresive ... What was I thinking ?????????????

Knowing what I learned from this book only recently, I am certainly gooing to make IT a BRIDAL/BABY SHOWER gift to EVERYONE that know. YOU should TOO!

And take my advise .... READ IT and educate yourself before It is too LATE!
lissadez @ guam 33 years old - single mother

Text
Lilian

Excellent!
For parents - mothers AND fathers!
Thank you!
Jodi

Mothers, Fathers...and don't forget teachers! Every parent with schoolage boys knows the horror of the notes sent home and the parent teacher conferences. We hope that the people who spend so much time attempting to educate our boys, truely understand them. Please, if you are a teacher, or know a teacher...educate them about this book.
I first read it as a required reading in my freshmen child development course. The chapter about fathers and sons, entitled Daddy, Do You Matter, is a slap in the face for every mother who thinks their children are better off without their father based on their own bad relationship with him.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: African Europeans
    African Europeans
    by Olivette Otele
    The nexus of Africans and Europeans is not a recent historical development. Rather, the peoples of ...
  • Book Jacket: The Killing Hills
    The Killing Hills
    by Chris Offutt
    The personified hills of the novel's title foreshadow the mood of this brooding and ominous tale. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Vixen
    The Vixen
    by Francine Prose
    Recent Harvard graduate Simon Putnam has been rejected from grad school and has thus returned to his...
  • Book Jacket: How the Word Is Passed
    How the Word Is Passed
    by Clint Smith
    With legislatures around the U.S. rushing to ban the teaching of critical race theory, it's clear ...

All the Little Hopes
by Leah Weiss
A Southern story of friendship forged by books and bees, in the murky shadows of World War II.

The Forest of Vanishing Stars
    by Kristin Harmel

An evocative coming-of-age World War II story from the author of The Book of Lost Names.

The Temple House Vanishing
    by Rachel Donohue

A modern gothic page-turner set in a Victorian mansion in Ireland.

Win This Book!
Win Gordo

Gordo by Jaime Cortez

"Dark and hilarious ... singular and soaring ... Hands down, top debut of 2021."—Literary Hub

N Say N