MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Perfume, plus links to write your own review.

Perfume

The Story of a Murderer

by Patrick Suskind

Perfume

Jun 1987, 361 pages
    Feb 2001, 272 pages

There is 1 reader review for Perfume

Karim Fanous (10/06/06)

Olfactory sensation, it's a sweet damnation!
Olfactory sensation, it's a sweet damnation! This book is simply brilliant. Never before have I been grasped so intensely by a book. Especially considering how bizarre and twisted the story and concept are. I have a terrible sense of smell and to read the literal embodiment of all these scents is an epiphany, a real mind bender.

Suskind frames the world in a way that many of us will not have experienced before, not with landscapes and visualisation, but with references to smells! Not only are his descriptions vivid and powerful, but his story telling is first rate. You will feel this as you find yourself surprised as you begin to sympathise and feel sorry for a man who is at the end of the day a spiteful, jealous murderer!

Brush all the high brow aside, and this book is simply a great read.

I am a singer-songwriter and this book is one of my most faithful companions. I have read it so many times and found myself meditating on the concepts and writing so often that it has inspired me to write a song - please please please check it out and let me know what you think!!!!! You can find the song and more trivia about the book at www.myspace.com/patricksuskindsperfume

• Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...

The Dark Lady's Mask
    by Mary Sharratt

Based on the life of the first professional woman poet in Renaissance England, and her collaboration with Shakespeare.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun