What readers think of The Flamenco Academy, plus links to write your own review.

The Flamenco Academy

Oct 2007, 400 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Flamenco Academy

bks r life

Ole! Ole!
A member of my book club has studied flamenco dancing and suggested this book. It was a great choice. We had one of our best discussions ever. It ranged from the nature of friendship to the role of art to every "bad boy" boyfriend we've ever had. We got to that last part after having coordinating tapas and several rounds of sangria. Our dancing friend even brought in a flamenco CD. It made for a really fun, really memorable evening. We say muchas gracias to Sarah Bird for writing such a fascinating book about a world none of us knew before.
SAM

Treacherous and Tedious
Disappointing doesn't begin to describe how trite this book is. Or how the main characters shouldn't be the main characters. Or how disrespectful the author is to the reader.

Gosh, does one woman really betray another over a man? Wouldn't Dona Carlota be a more interesting protagonist? Can't even the basic facts be verified?

I don't know why Bird has the credential she has. This is a waste of time.
Palomara

Disappointing.
I was very excited when I started reading the book. The description of the dancing and the rhythm. Her words were so melodic and beautiful.

Unfortunately, when I got to the Spanish dialogues... it was incredibly disappointing to see how little research Ms. Bird did for The Flamenco Academy.

The Spanish grammar errors unforgivable. As I read and marked error after error, I finally came to the conclusion that Ms. Bird did not intend for her novel to be read by Spanish-speakers (much less Castilian Spanish-speakers). It was as if she had read some random book for tourists visiting Spain or did a summer internship at the Universidad de Granada when she was in college and felt she was expert enough to write a novel based on a culture too complex or dignified for her to translate into her own words. Ambitious, but wrong.

This shows very little respect for an audience that could have really enjoyed her novel. It's as if she had said to herself, "They won't read this."

Some of the basic mistakes she made in her book could have been avoided by looking it up in a dictionary, basic Spanish grammar book, asking a Spanish-speaking friend or expert (from Spain, specifically, as the book is deals with characters from that country).

Although Ms. Bird clearly understands the feeling behind Flamenco dancing, Spain and its language are not present in her novel. Great mistake, as you can't have Flamenco without Spain.

PS: Jehovah's Witnesses CAN indeed shave their legs and armpits.

PS2: People from the Philippines do not speak Spanish fluently. Unless, they've grown up in Spain.

Flamenco Dancing

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Everyone Knows Your Mother Is a Witch
    Everyone Knows Your Mother Is a Witch
    by Rivka Galchen
    Rivka Galchen's novel Everyone Knows Your Mother Is a Witch is a historical fiction tale set in the ...
  • Book Jacket: Paradise, Nevada
    Paradise, Nevada
    by Dario Diofebi
    In Dario Diofebi's novel Paradise, Nevada, the neon allure of Las Vegas is pulled back to reveal ...
  • Book Jacket: Things We Lost to the Water
    Things We Lost to the Water
    by Eric Nguyen
    Spanning over 30 years, Eric Nguyen's debut novel Things We Lost to the Water is epic in scope but ...
  • Book Jacket: The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    by Dawnie Walton
    Within the general arc of many well-established and chronicled historical events is oral history's ...

Ariadne
by Jennifer Saint
A mesmerizing debut novel about Ariadne, Princess of Crete for fans of Madeline Miller's Circe.

Morningside Heights
    by Joshua Henkin

A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

At the Chinese Table
    by Carolyn Phillips

Part memoir of life in Taiwan, part love story—A beautifully told account of China's cuisines with recipes.

Win This Book!
Win Together We Will Go

Together We Will Go
by J. Michael Straczynski

A novel as much about the will to live as the choice to end it.

C T T Chase