Reader reviews and comments on The Flamenco Academy, plus links to write your own review.

The Flamenco Academy

Oct 2007, 400 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Flamenco Academy

bks r life

Ole! Ole!
A member of my book club has studied flamenco dancing and suggested this book. It was a great choice. We had one of our best discussions ever. It ranged from the nature of friendship to the role of art to every "bad boy" boyfriend we've ever had. We got to that last part after having coordinating tapas and several rounds of sangria. Our dancing friend even brought in a flamenco CD. It made for a really fun, really memorable evening. We say muchas gracias to Sarah Bird for writing such a fascinating book about a world none of us knew before.
SAM

Treacherous and Tedious
Disappointing doesn't begin to describe how trite this book is. Or how the main characters shouldn't be the main characters. Or how disrespectful the author is to the reader.

Gosh, does one woman really betray another over a man? Wouldn't Dona Carlota be a more interesting protagonist? Can't even the basic facts be verified?

I don't know why Bird has the credential she has. This is a waste of time.
Palomara

Disappointing.
I was very excited when I started reading the book. The description of the dancing and the rhythm. Her words were so melodic and beautiful.

Unfortunately, when I got to the Spanish dialogues... it was incredibly disappointing to see how little research Ms. Bird did for The Flamenco Academy.

The Spanish grammar errors unforgivable. As I read and marked error after error, I finally came to the conclusion that Ms. Bird did not intend for her novel to be read by Spanish-speakers (much less Castilian Spanish-speakers). It was as if she had read some random book for tourists visiting Spain or did a summer internship at the Universidad de Granada when she was in college and felt she was expert enough to write a novel based on a culture too complex or dignified for her to translate into her own words. Ambitious, but wrong.

This shows very little respect for an audience that could have really enjoyed her novel. It's as if she had said to herself, "They won't read this."

Some of the basic mistakes she made in her book could have been avoided by looking it up in a dictionary, basic Spanish grammar book, asking a Spanish-speaking friend or expert (from Spain, specifically, as the book is deals with characters from that country).

Although Ms. Bird clearly understands the feeling behind Flamenco dancing, Spain and its language are not present in her novel. Great mistake, as you can't have Flamenco without Spain.

PS: Jehovah's Witnesses CAN indeed shave their legs and armpits.

PS2: People from the Philippines do not speak Spanish fluently. Unless, they've grown up in Spain.

Flamenco Dancing

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: White Too Long
    White Too Long
    by Robert P. Jones
    Religious scholar Robert P. Jones doesn't pull any punches in his latest book, White Too Long: The ...
  • Book Jacket: Caste
    Caste
    by Isabel Wilkerson
    In 2020, the word "racist" remains taboo. Conceptually, racism is so culturally unacceptable, so ...
  • Book Jacket: The Deepest South of All
    The Deepest South of All
    by Richard Grant
    Author Richard Grant frequently uses his wanderlust to explore diverse stories that create a complex...
  • Book Jacket: Piranesi
    Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke
    Our First Impressions readers were delighted with this speculative novel by Susanna Clarke, her ...

The Blind Light
    by Stuart Evers

A multigenerational story about two families bound together by the tides of history.

Where the Light Enters
by Sara Donati

An enthralling epic about two trailblazing female doctors in 19th century New York.

Win Agent Sonya

Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy

Master storyteller Ben Macintyre tells the true story behind the Cold War's most intrepid female spy.

I I M B T Give T T R