Reader reviews and comments on Guests of the Ayatollah, plus links to write your own review.

Guests of the Ayatollah

Mar 2007, 704 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Guests of the Ayatollah

Warren Husak (07/08/11)

Some Inaccuracies in the book
A lot of inconsistencies exist in this book. I gather they were for journalistic entertainment. One of them is the point that he made that some of those involved knew of their mission while training for it and the possibility that their families would know in advance. This is NOT TRUE. Those involved knew that a mission was being devised, however, no one knew exactly what it was until days before attempted rescue.
Also, The Secretary of the Navy made a visit to the 2 aircraft carriers involved and offered those on the carriers an opportunity to have 2 beers per person. This was commendable since this was the first time that alcohol was allowed on board any US ship in memory.
These are just a couple of the inaccuracies in this book.. I know...I was there.
Christine (07/27/06)

It was a great book - offered fantastic insights into the 1979 hostage crisis. I particularly liked the in-depth focus on some of the hostages' trials and tribulations during the crisis. My only question is, does Mark Bowden realize that in Iran, displaying "thumbs up" is equal to a Westerner displaying the middle finger? That changes the thrust of the meaning of his last lines in the book quite a bit, don't you think?

• Book Jacket: Wonderful Feels Like This
    Wonderful Feels Like This
    by Sara Lovestam
  • Book Jacket: Blue Light Yokohama
    Blue Light Yokohama
    by Nicolas Obregon
    Blue Light Yokohama, Nicolás Obregón's crime fiction debut, takes place in an exotic ...
  • Book Jacket: Inferno
    Inferno
    by Steven Hatch
    The word "Ebola" sets off an almost visceral reaction in many of us; we think about the men, women ...

The Book of Summer
    by Michelle Gable

The bestselling author of The Paris Apartment, Michelle Gable now transports readers to Nantucket.

The Scribe of Siena
    by Melodie Winawer

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T W Don't M A R