Reader reviews and comments on The Giver, plus links to write your own review.

by Lois Lowry

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Apr 1993, 192 pages
    May 1999, 192 pages

There are currently 15 reader reviews for The Giver

Kaitlyn Mckenzie Brooks

I Love The Giver
I love the giver, the giver is a book all young adults should read. This book is probably the only book I really liked reading. This book is probably the book I have ever wanted to actually read, it's that amazing. I myself recommend this book to anyone, who starts the make sure you finish it, because, it's that amazing.
don

the giver
This book is awesome. I am almost to speechless to tell you about it.
carley

the best book on earth
I think this is so far the best book I have ever read! I totally recommend this book to 12 year-olds. I love the ending more than anything in the book, but it's still awesome
Alessandra Elicone

The Giver
When reading The Giver, to know what it's about isn't to read these comments, but to look at the book from your own view, to read it however you want. The Giver is a great book for reader's among all ages.
Cory

The Giver
The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas who lives in a utopian community. Until the time he is 12 years old he has no idea what the real world is about. The community that he lives in provides an atmosphere where there is no feeling. Within the community there is one giver. He carries with him all the memories of the real world that the community does not have. He knows the truth about life. The “Elders” of the community need the giver for his advice when they need to make a large decision. But, the giver cannot live on forever. Jonas is selected at the age of 12 to become the new giver and receive all the memories that the giver has.

The book’s greatest strength would have to be the fact that it is easy to read for younger people but still gives them an opportunity to expand their thinking at the same time. Its weakness, if I had to pick one, would be that the author does not describe physical scenes to you. It’s up to your imagination to take over the overall view of what you are “seeing.” Overall I really enjoyed this book. There were times when I could not put it down. I recommend it for anyone.
Power Reviewer PDXReader

Interesting view of a dystopian future
I read this book in celebration of Banned Book Week (2009-09-26 through 2009-10/03). I'm not entirely sure why it would have been a challenged novel, as the future it paints is so distant that I personally believe children in its intended age group would be unlikely to find it disturbing, but then again, I'm not a parent.

One of the more interesting aspects of the novel is the way the reader is initially led to believe the characters live in a utopia; only gradually is it revealed what they've given up to achieve peace and order. It's a vivid, unforgettable book.
The plot is not overly original (see "Logan's Run," for example), but Lowry's re-imagining of it breathes new life into the story.
Kilahoe Absalkanaka

Too Good 4 Words
The Giver is the most compelling story told ever. It enriches the life of its readers and makes me appreciate true freedom and individualism.
Betty Hampson

The Giver was Great! :p
The Giver was a very fascinating story of a colorless world with no love; just a few feelings here and there.

My Name Is Leon