What readers think of The Giver, plus links to write your own review.

The Giver

May 1999, 192 pages

There are currently 27 reader reviews for The Giver

Samir

Just an amazing book
The words and how the reader put this together is amazing.
Julio Tarango

Shock Stilled
Bringing this book home to read, I had no idea what it would contain. My father recognized the book immediately after being told about it a while back by my aunt who had read it. He told me to give him the book immediately, and naturally I asked why. I gave him the book waiting for my answer. He opens the book to a page and starts reading. I was shocked. I had no idea that this would be contained in a "children's book". My father and mother had a talk with my teacher and heard her point of view of the book. She said that that very graphic abortion part in the book shows what can happen when 1 person is in charge. My parents realized that she had a point and let me continue reading the book. This book was great and I give it 5 STARS. It was worth reading. Thank you Lois Lowry for this book. It was written well and with good intentions.
Lolbit_fnafgirl

Amazing book
This is the best book i have EVER read, but I like FNaF books better, amazing book
AlexiaJS

The Giver by Lois Lowry, review
The Giver is a very thought-provoking novel. It perfectly captures the essence of growing up, and coming of age. The plot twists are so enthralling and you'll just get more and more attached to each character, that by the end of the book, you'll feel like you've known them all your life. It ends in a sort of cliff-hanger, so it just leaves you needing more of the story, and that, I love.
Charlotte

mkl2
It's awesome!
Onigiri

WHAT A BOOK!!!
I was reading the book in class and thought it was going to be really bad and boring. I could not have been more wrong, I was entranced by the book. It will definitely have you hooked by the 3rd chapter if not sooner.
emily vannatter

Wow
This book will make you think about a lot of things. Like what if our world was like this book what would you have done would you do what he did?
RAMEN NOODLES

One Of The Best Books
My opinions is I love The Giver. The Giver is a book all young adults should read. This book is probably the only book I really liked reading. This book is probably the book I have ever wanted to actually read, it's that amazing. I myself recommend this book to anyone, who starts the make sure you finish it, because, it's that amazing. I thought it would not be interesting at all, but I was wrong! This book sucked me in just after a few chapters. It was one of the best books I have ever read! I would totally read it again.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Debt Trap
    The Debt Trap
    by Josh Mitchell
    The Debt Trap by Josh Mitchell opens up the dialogue for meaningful conversations about a problem ...
  • Book Jacket: Razorblade Tears
    Razorblade Tears
    by S. A. Cosby
    Razorblade Tears, a thriller by S.A. Cosby, follows a pair of ex-convicts who team up to avenge the ...
  • Book Jacket: Once There Were Wolves
    Once There Were Wolves
    by Charlotte McConaghy
    In Charlotte McConaghy's second novel after her debut Migrations, environmental biologist Inti Flynn...
  • Book Jacket: The Secret Keeper of Jaipur
    The Secret Keeper of Jaipur
    by Alka Joshi
    Alka Joshi's The Secret Keeper of Jaipur is the sequel to her 2020 bestseller The Henna Artist and ...

In Every Mirror She's Black
by Lola Akinmade Akerstrom
An arresting debut for anyone looking for insight into what it means to be a Black woman in the world.

Blind Man's Bluff
    by James Tate Hill

A writer's humorous and often-heartbreaking tale of losing his sight—and how he hid it from the world.

The Last Chance Library
    by Freya Sampson

Fans of libraries and heartfelt, humorous fiction won't want to miss this one!

To make a library it takes two volumes and a fire. Two volumes and a fire, and interest. The interest alone will ...

Pull Y U B T B