MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Spinning Straw, plus links to write your own review.

Spinning Straw

The Jeff Apple Story

by Phyllis J. Green

Spinning Straw

• Paperback:
    Jan 1999, 196 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Spinning Straw

Jill (10/25/10)

Gave me a new perspective - and there's hope.
I have lived this story as my son is also self-injurious and autistic. My heart was breaking for Pat and her family. I was thrilled that she was able to lean on God and found things to celebrate in her situation. Their courage and wonderful attitude is inspiring. For oh how I know how difficult this can be!

I have new things to be thankful for and that is the gift that I received from this book. And I want to let other suffering families know that we found good treatment for this. We are doing neurotherapy and ABA (and some other minor things). It seems to be the right combination because the SIB and aggression has gone way down. The neurotherapy addressed those attacks that came from inside which our poor boy could not stop. ABA addressed those behaviors that were more manipulative in nature.
Anonymous (08/12/01)

from an elderly woman in Liberty, NC
I cried all the way through. Spinning Staw is a classic!
Anonymous (08/12/01)

Rochelle, March 3, 1999
"I couldn't put it down. Spinning Straw made me laugh, wince, and cry. It is more than a story of autistic boy. It shows a family that happens to have a child with a serious handicap. It shows their ups and downs, the emotional roller coaster of raising a handicapped child. As a mother of an autistic child, I could feel for what this family went through. However, you don't have to have a handicapped child to be moved by this book. Any parent or anyone who knows children will be touched by this book. Spinning Straw pulls at the heart strings."

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk