MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Becoming Strangers, plus links to write your own review.

Becoming Strangers

by Louise Dean

Becoming Strangers

Jan 2006, 320 pages
    Jan 2007, 320 pages

There is 1 reader review for Becoming Strangers

pointereader (03/02/07)

Characters Big, Action Small
I picked this up for its setting--the Caribbean--because I was headed there. It was a good enough beach read: interesting characters, several lovely passages, some deep thought (nothing too strenuous), but I kept feeling like I'd already read the "big moments" of character realizations ten minutes earlier. I enjoyed the least likable characters the best because they weren't so tediously thoughtful. Perhaps it was because I was reading from a lounge chair, sipping a cocktail and taking snorkle breaks. My favorite parts were tiny bits of character description or dialogue that made me laugh, and opportunities were plentiful, what with all the alcohol and scantily-clad leisure time in the Caribbean. (I'm talking about the characters, not myself...I think.) Overall, it was enjoyable, if not remarkable.

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk