MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Memory Keeper's Daughter, plus links to write your own review.

The Memory Keeper's Daughter

May 2006, 432 pages

There are currently 36 reader reviews for The Memory Keeper's Daughter

Amanda

The memory keepers Daughter
I found the Memory Keepers Daughter very easy to read and interesting... it only took me 8 hrs to read. the imagery was fantastic...great book... keeps you on the edge of your seat and full of surprises...in a few weeks I will be meeting Kim Edwards.
Erica

Worth the reading time!
I thought that this book was well written and an extraordinary look into the treatment of those with disabilities in the mid twentieth century. I found it to be compelling and, being that I love symbolism within texts, I loved the imagery of photographs to hold time at a standstill. I highly recommend this book and I want to one day incorporate it into my high school teaching syllabus.
Jill MacLeod

The Memory Keeper's Daughter.
This is undoubtedly the best book I have read for years. I am an avid reader - and I was unable to put this book down. No-one was fed and no housework was done until I finished this amazing book.
I have been a Nurse for over 40 years, and when I started Nursing in 1959, children with Down Syndrome (it was called Mongolism then) were mostly put in an institution and many were kept a family secret, so I found this book totally believable.
I loved every page of this book, and am eagerly awaiting the next novel that Kim Edwards writes.
I have passed this book on to family and friends, and everyone has agreed that this book is AMAZING. Thanks Kim - and hurry on with your next novel.
Alexandria

Loved it
I think this book was a very good one I'm only 13 and I don't read much and I have to find the right book or I cant follow along. This BOOK was amazing
Davine

Pleasantly Impressed
When I read the back of the book I was not sure if I would enjoy the story, but I must say that I did. There were some confusing parts, and the plot did jump around some at times, but I did truly enjoy reading it. I do wish there had been more written about Pheobe, and how her life evolved after she was sent away with Caroline. There was so much focus on Paul, but not so much on her. But overall, I think Ms. Edwards did a wonderful job on her first novel, and I would read more of her books for sure.
Deanne

Truely compassionate!
Personally I view this book differently than others-- Something I find very interesting about the human mind is that everyone views things differently. And just because you may not like it, someone else might, and may affect them in some way that may be life- changing. Because if you are a true lover of books, then you'd step back and realize that maybe it's not our opinion that matters only; it's everyone's. INCLUDING THE AUTHOR.

I truly enjoyed this book, and found the characters very interesting. At times there were confusing parts, and not exactly the best sentence skills; but I honestly thought that if you have a true understanding of emotion and feelings, then you'd enjoy this. I've always been intrigued by "the web of lies", and how it really and truly affects people's lives in an immense way. This book is definitely one to take a look at; not a "time waster", but a great way to keep your life in perspective on how really blessed we can be.
Katie Peterson

Suprise
I was surprised when i finished this book, everyone had told me it was a slow read, but, I was pleasantly surprised. I think it was inspirational and had dimension.
Mandy

Do you like plot or are you a character reader?
I firmly believe that there are some people who lean more toward reading for "plot" than they do for the characters. I am a character person. I like to read and develop a relationship with the characters in the book. I want to get to know them...to understand them.

Kim Edwards did make a few mistakes in the novel; however, if you are someone who reads for character development, I think she did an excellent job. You may not like where she takes the characters at times but you will find yourself up late at night waiting to find out.

I give this book a "B" and suggest you add it to your reading list : )

Orange World and Other Stories
    by Karen Russell
    Karen Russell has a tremendous gift for crafting uncanny, through-the-looking glass worlds that are ...
  • Book Jacket: The Book of Longings
    The Book of Longings
    by Sue Monk Kidd
    The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd follows the life of Ana, a woman born in the Galilean city of ...
  • Book Jacket: Master Class
    Master Class
    by Christina Dalcher
    Christina Dalcher's Master Class shows America sleepwalking into a perfectionist eventuality not ...
  • Book Jacket: How to Pronounce Knife
    How to Pronounce Knife
    by Souvankham Thammavongsa
    Many examples of immigrant fiction dedicate a portion of their storytelling to exploring details of ...

Daughter of the Reich
    by Louise Fein

A spellbinding story of impossible love set against the backdrop of the Nazi regime.

The Prisoner's Wife
    by Maggie Brookes

Inspired by the true story of a courageous young woman who enters a Nazi POW camp to be with the man she loves.

The Paris Hours
by Alex George

One day in the City of Light. One night in search of lost time.

Win The House on Fripp Island

The House on Fripp Island
by Rebecca Kauffman

A taut, page-turning novel of secrets and strife.

B I T T Water