Reader reviews and comments on Arthur & George, plus links to write your own review.

Arthur & George

Dec 2006, 512 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Arthur & George

Roger Oldfield

Arthur and George: the truth
It's a very fine novel. As an expert on the Edalji family, though, I spent the whole time thinking about the extent to which it reflects the historical record. There are points at which it departs deliberately from actual events, and there are points at which there are (I think) unwitting distortions and mistakes. For a critique of the book in these terms, as well as a comprehensive account of George Edalji's case, see my 'Outrage: The Edalji Five and the Shadow of Sherlock Holmes'.
bob

Amazing historical fiction
If you enjoy historical fiction or mysteries you should enjoy this book.
This is an interesting story and well written. Mr Barnes' ability to move back and forth between 'Arthur' and 'George' is remarkable---the nuances of personality that he is able to convey are amazing. His ability to create a work of fiction from an historical story and setting is excellent. That being said, although some of the last section of the book is interesting, it weakens the overall story for me...but not enough to lessen my recommendation for a 'good read.'

• Book Jacket: Tiffany Blues
    Tiffany Blues
    by M.J. Rose
    I admit it. I'm an M. J. Rose fan. But this time I believe she has outdone herself.

Set in ...
  • Book Jacket: The Wrong Heaven
    The Wrong Heaven
    by Amy Bonnafons
    The narrators of the short story collection The Wrong Heaven are plagued by critical talking lawn ...
  • Book Jacket: Southernmost
    Southernmost
    by Silas House
    Southernmost opens with a devastating flood in Cumberland Valley, Tennessee. Could it be divine ...
  • Book Jacket: Confessions of the Fox
    Confessions of the Fox
    by Jordy Rosenberg
    In Confessions of the Fox, a fictional academic, Dr. Voth, finds a manuscript in the library where ...

The Radium Girls by Kate Moore

The incredible true story of the women who fought America's Undark danger.

Fly Girls
    by Keith O'Brien

How five daring women defied all odds and made aviation history.

Meet Me at the Museum
    by Anne Youngson

A celebration of letters, kindred spirits and writing a new story for yourself.

So Much Life Left Over
    by Louis de Bernieres

An evocative and emotional novel set between the World Wars.

Win Vox

VOX by Christina Dalcher

The story of what one woman will do to protect herself and her daughter in a society where half the population is silenced.

T B Y Speak