Reader reviews and comments on The Brooklyn Follies, plus links to write your own review.

The Brooklyn Follies

Oct 2006, 320 pages

There is 1 reader review for The Brooklyn Follies

Alex

The Brooklyn Follies
Reading this novel was not a satisfying experience for me. To my ear, the story never rang true. Nevertheless, I found it interesting and entertaining enough for the first 3/4 of the book. After that, for me, the author’s style became too didactic to tolerate. Although the political views expressed by the characters in the novel are precisely the same as my own, I had the impression that the author was simply wallowing in the pleasure of expressing his personal viewpoint through the dialog. The overbearing nature of the main character and narrator began to spill over to the voices of the other characters, who seemed to speak with the same, eventually irritating voice. The differences between the characters seemed contrived. Maybe I'm just too provincial, but if there is a deep end to this pool, I never found it, and the wading wasn’t entertaining enough to be worth the minimal effort. As for the professional reviews, in my opinion only the Kirkus reviewer got it right.

• Book Jacket: Future Home of the Living God
  • Book Jacket: Never Coming Back
    Never Coming Back
    by Alison McGhee

If the Creek Don't Rise by Leah Weiss

A debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.

Strangers in Budapest
    by Jessica Keener

Dictators ride to and fro on tigers from which they dare not dismount. And the tigers are getting hungry.

E Dog H I D