Reader reviews and comments on Edges, plus links to write your own review.

Edges

Sep 2005, 176 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Edges

Shelley Hunt (01/03/07)

unique and riveting
It took me only a few days to read Edges,this book blew me away. It is hypnotic, frightening--the feeling of danger never let up, not for a second. It is beautiful, visceral--I think of it and smell oranges and desert (I grew up in a desert), and oh--the author so nailed that terrible longing that I remember feeling at 14 or so. The scene in Palestine with the mother, all those shops, colors, smells--I was in heaven reading that, and scared to death at the same time.

To be able to write somebody like this mother, horrible and beautiful all at once, takes great talent. I also loved that it was smooth-- one second, or more than a second, then raw as hell the next. I think this is why the unexpected moments worked so well, why a Jewish mother, worried about safety, would suddenly drag her youngest daughter into a place that turns out to be not safe at all (those boys, after night fell, in Palestine), and why I bought, completely, Liana's taking off to find William, to find Paris, to find that something she longed for.

It's absolutely not perfect, but that's a good thing,
Jamie Callan (12/27/05)

Compelling and quite beautifully written debut novel
I enjoyed Leora Skolkin-Smith's powerful debut novel "Edges" very much. It's a deeply felt and authentic book written in lyrical and compelling language, telling a universal story about mothers and daughters. The geography of Israel is especially memorable and Leora Skolkin-Smith is very gifted at expressing complex emotional moments, and a young woman's emerging sexuality.

• Book Jacket: Pachinko
    Lincoln in the Bardo
    by George Saunders

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

Caught in the Revolution
    by Helen Rappaport

The Fifth Petal
    by Brunonia Barry

The only real blind person at Christmas-time is he who has not Christmas in his heart.

K Your F C