Reader reviews and comments on All The Pretty Horses, plus links to write your own review.

All The Pretty Horses

Nov 2002, 301 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for All The Pretty Horses

Pete Lester

All The Pretty Horses
One of the best books you will read. Five Stars. Great film as well. Conrad McCormick.
Katherine

One of my favorite books ever!
This book, and the other two in the Border Trilogy, captured my heart from the beginning. McCarthy does a fabulous job with character development, so you feel like you really know the main character and understand how he thinks as he comes of age. To top this off, what impressed me most is McCarthy's ability to describe the land, the people in it, the animals, the sky, etc. There are very few books where I really feel as if I'm place, but All the Pretty Horses took me from the U.S. to Mexico and never let me go. Some might need the first 30-50 pages to really get into this book, and the descriptions do make for a slower-paced novel. It's not a thriller, and it doesn't read like one. Personally, I can't recommend it highly enough. I've read it twice. I've actually read this one and the Crossing twice because I had to read them again when Cities of the Plains finally came out.
Suzanne G.

So good . . .
This book is the first in a trilogy. I wondered at first if I was reading the book with such wonderful reviews or was it a “same title” book. Thank goodness, after taking more time with my reading, slowing down and even rereading the Spanish dialogue to get the gist of the conversation, I fell in love. John Grady Cole will be a favorite character henceforth. A wonderful story.

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: Stories from Suffragette City
    Stories from Suffragette City
    by M.J. Rose, Fiona Davis
    Our First Impressions readers were fascinated by the historical fiction from a range of authors ...
  • Book Jacket: The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
    The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
    by Marie Benedict
    The Mystery of Mrs. Christie by Marie Benedict, notable author of previous historical fiction such ...
  • Book Jacket: To Be a Man
    To Be a Man
    by Nicole Krauss
    While, as its title hints, To Be a Man by Nicole Krauss is concerned with masculinity, it renders a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Office of Historical Corrections
    The Office of Historical Corrections
    by Danielle Evans
    In The Office of Historical Corrections, the second story collection from Danielle Evans, readers ...

The Prophets
    by Robert Jones Jr.

A stunning debut novel about the forbidden union between two enslaved young men on a Deep South plantation.

The Fortunate Ones
    by Ed Tarkington

An engrossing story of class, love, and loyalty for fans of Kevin Wilson's Nothing to See Here.

The Moment of Lift
by Melinda Gates
How can we summon a moment of lift for women? Because when you lift up women, you lift up humanity.

Harvard is the storehouse of knowledge because the freshmen bring so much in and the graduates take so little out.

T M T C, T M T Stay T S