MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Son of a Witch, plus links to write your own review.

Son of a Witch

by Gregory Maguire

Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire X
Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire

Sep 2005, 352 pages
    Oct 2006, 356 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for Son of a Witch

Janey

Worth a read if you've read Wicked
I felt compelled to finish this book having enjoyed Wicked so much. Unfortunately the author seems more intent on getting across to the reader a lot of underlining meaning, emotion and politics which will go over the average readers head (as it did mine) rather than developing a relationship with the characters tale. I also had a lot of unanswered questions at the end about what seemed to be Liir's main objective throughout the story. However, if you're a Wicked fan give it a read anyway.
Kimberlee

ehhhh
I enjoyed the book at first because it picked up exactly where it left off, but as I read on I started to become disappointed. I noticed that the pages were getting fewer and there wasn't much that was resolved. I was completely confused at the end and have no idea what happened to Candle (Why did she leave her baby and Liir?) and the rest of the inhabitants on the farm. It was almost like the author got tired of writing and just ended it. Hopefully everything will be resolved in the third edition....
Toni

Did I just waste several days of my life?
Yes, I sure did. I had read Wicked and thought it was a fun, quick, interesting and original book to read. Son of a Witch on the other hand fell flat. I was expecting some climatic plot revelations but got nothing. There were no interesting story lines. Didn't really care too much about Liir either way good nor bad. Thought the story line of Nastoya could have been much more exciting. And the end of the book well that was just plain boring and I too was left a bit irritated. There doesn't need to be resolution but please at least make it interesting. Everything just fell flat in this book. If you are reading this do not waste your money.
Travis

What on earth happened?
I have to confess, I didn't love Wicked but I at least thought it was clever. Son of a Witch however, wow - just useless. It was like Maguire didn't even know what it was about. There were several throw away conflicts that were not the least bit engaging and characters that he put no time into at all. I doubt he cares however, since everyone that loved Wicked went out and bought the book. This was just a cash out and the reader feels it from page one.
Natasha

No Son of Mine
I eagerly awaited this book. I read it as soon as it came out and I am still bitter for lack of a better word for spending my money on this book.

As I was reading I felt disappointed but tried to push through it and give the author the benefit. I thought the story would pick up, become engaging, I thought I would start to care for the characters or miss the land of Oz when the book was over. None of these things happened, in fact I couldn't exit Oz fast enough.

I was disappointed because the land of Oz was foreign and harsh and the characters unlikeable and uninspiring. Maybe if this book came out with no link to Wicked I would have better appreciated it but Liir had none of Alphaba's character or charisma.
Captain

Beyond Disappointed!
Words can barely describe my disappointment and frustration at Son of a Witch. I've read and enjoyed many of Mr. Maquire's other work, but I can't help but wonder if in his haste to capitalize on the phenomenal success of Wicked, he failed to come up with a decent idea or sympathetic character to keep his readership interested. The dark themes and political murkiness of Oz continue, but that is where the similarity to Wicked ends. There is no reason given for the follies of Oz, and there is certainly no reason to follow the futile exploits (if one can call them that) of the thoroughly unlikable protagonist. This is a novel about a non-person living a non-life of non-discovery, non-ambition, and non-compassion. I was left feeling empty and even a bit angry at the end of this book, and would dearly love the hours of my life that were wasted in reading it given back!

• Book Jacket: When We Were Vikings
    When We Were Vikings
    by Andrew David MacDonald
    In When We Were Vikings by Andrew David MacDonald, readers are first introduced to Zelda on her ...
  • Book Jacket: How to Build a Heart
    How to Build a Heart
    by Maria Padian
    Maria Padian is well-known for her motif of exploring teen reactions to social issues. Her novel ...
  • Book Jacket: Follow Me to Ground
    by Sue Rainsford
    Ada and her father are human-like beings who age slowly and possess the power to heal all illness. ...
  • Book Jacket: Children of the Land
    Children of the Land
    by Marcelo Hernandez Castillo
    In this exquisitely crafted memoir, Marcelo Hernandez Castillo describes coming of age as a young ...

Red Letter Days
    by Sarah-Jane Stratford

A striking novel about two daring women who escape McCarthy-era Hollywood for London.

The Girl in White Gloves
    by Kerri Maher

A fascinating and deeply researched novel of the extraordinary Grace Kelly.

Remembrance
by Rita Woods

A breakout debut with modern resonance, perfect for fans of The Underground Railroad and Orphan Train.

Win The Lost Family

The Lost Family
by Libby Copeland

A deeply reported look at the rise of home genetic testing and the seismic shock it has had on individual lives.

A F I Need I A F I