MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Panic, plus links to write your own review.

Panic

Aug 2006, 416 pages

There are currently 5 reader reviews for Panic

Gurmy

Gid Book
I have read Panic twice and it is a very exceptional read. :)
Christina

panic
This book was sensational. I love it I've read it twice and both times it still amazes me that a filmaker could turn killer and quite a believing liar. It is such athriller, an amazing read really!
faiz ahmad

jeff abbot-panic
After a long time I really enjoyed the read. I finished it in one sitting on a flight and lives up to its credits as being unputdownable. No doubt like any fiction load it has an impregnable protagonist,it still makes compulsive reading. The early Ludlums and Baldicci were the same and one misses the true roller coaster thrillers,but abbot has stepped into the shoes quite comfortably. Would like to read fear but hope it doesn't turn out to be a let down.
Vivienne

Utter tosh
It is hard to think of a more implausible plot than this!

The writing style is fine, shame about the content.. As usual, the plucky Americans face down the world... in the real world the CIA/MI5 kill everything that moves... get back into the real work of spies.. they have no compunction about anything, if they did, they wouldn't be any good as spies.. but as most readers like the 'good guy' to win... we get this..
jim

Laughable
The initial concept may be intriguing but the plotting, characterization and writing style are strictly comic book. Panic is riddled with howlers and the only area of which the author seems to have any real knowledge is his strictly nerdy obsession with computers, PDAs and uploading/downloading and encrypting files - something he has learnt at his desk as he obviously doesn't get out much.
The relationships are sickly gooey and unrealistic. The hero escapes death about 17 times - each time more ridiculous than the last - despite being hunted down, trapped and shot at at close range by the most efficient, ruthless hitmen in the world. The central idea - that the Soviet Union would turn children into sleeper agents by building a fake US town in the USSR then sending them to live in the USA has possibilities , but the proposition that having spent all this money and effort the KGB would then forget about them while they become illegal operatives for bent CIA departments is completely implausible. A very exciting first few pages lead to a very disappointing and laughably bad book.

• Book Jacket: Crossings
    Crossings
    by Alex Landragin
    Crossings is a beautiful, if slightly messy, time-bending debut. It reads like a vampire novel, sans...
  • Book Jacket: Pew
    Pew
    by Catherine Lacey
    A quote often attributed to Leo Tolstoy states that "All great literature is one of two stories; a ...
  • Book Jacket: Waiting for an Echo
    Waiting for an Echo
    by Christine Montross
    Dr. Christine Montross had been a practicing psychiatrist for nearly a decade when she decided to ...
    The Flight Portfolio
    by Julie Orringer
    At once a sweeping historical narrative, an insightful character study and a tender romance, Julie ...

He Started It
    by Samantha Downing

A new thriller from the twisted mind behind the mega hit My Lovely Wife.

Hieroglyphics
    by Jill McCorkle

A mesmerizing novel about piecing together the hieroglyphics of history and memory.

Every Bone a Prayer
by Ashley Blooms

The the story of one tough-as-nails girl whose choices are few but whose fight is boundless.

Win Every Bone a Prayer

Every Bone a Prayer by Ashley Blooms

A beautifully honest exploration of healing and of hope.

T Real M