BookBrowse has a new look! Learn more about the update here.

What readers think of The History of Love, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

The History of Love by Nicole Krauss

• Buy This Book

About This Book

There are currently 12 reader reviews for The History of Love

N.Banks

Definitely a book to read in one or two sittings
This book was both fun and intellignent.

This novel is a beautifully written piece of fiction with profond characters. Elements of the story's plot are left to the reader to puzzle together. Allow some room for coincidence!

highly recommend.
Kate Malita

An extraordinary story of an ordinary man
I had the pleasure to translate this book into Polish. I finished my job last week and I can say that it was one of the best books I have ever read and translated. When I received the book it was not published yet so I had a pile of loose pages and I felt as if I read the "History of Love" itself (when you read the book you will know what I mean). I could not help but wonder how a tale narrated by an old Polish Jew and a teenage girl could be so moving and unforgettable. It takes a great talent to convey so much meaning in such simple words. It is a story of love, loneliness, friendship, urge to be seen and heard, which speaks directly to your heart. A story of a boy who fell in love and it was his life. The image of Leo Gursky walking through his son's house and waiting on a park bench for his Alma will stay with me for ever.
Sharon Steinberg

Disappointed and confused
I'm sorry, but I wanted to like this book, especially after reading the first page, but very soon after, it was so unnecessarily fractured and disorganized and never got itself together. I teach college English, I welcome experimental fiction, but I think it's important not to lose sight of the goal of communication; it's also important not to place experimentation above understanding. Remember the reader.....
Denise

The History of Love
UGH - could it have been more difficult to try to follow what was going on in this book? It is painful when you must create a diagram to try to figure out who is who and how they relate to each other. The end was wholly unsatifying, as well. Our book club read this book based on so many great reviews. We ALL (20 of us) disliked it. One person appreciated the strange relationships between the people, but no one found it easy or enjoyable to read. I was sorry I wasted my time.

Join BookBrowse today to start
discovering exceptional books!
Find Out More

• Book Jacket: Blue Ruin
    Blue Ruin
    by Hari Kunzru
    Like Red Pill and White Tears, the first two novels in Hari Kunzru's loosely connected Three-...
  • Book Jacket: A Gentleman and a Thief
    A Gentleman and a Thief
    by Dean Jobb
    In the Roaring Twenties—an era known for its flash and glamour as well as its gangsters and ...
  • Book Jacket: Early Sobrieties
    Early Sobrieties
    by Michael Deagler
    Dennis Monk is sober now, and he expects some applause. Or at least some recognition that he's ...
  • Book Jacket: The Coin
    The Coin
    by Yasmin Zaher
    A popular choice for book jackets in recent years, perhaps especially in the historical fiction ...

BookBrowse Book Club

The 1619 Project
by Nikole Hannah-Jones
An impactful expansion of groundbreaking journalism, The 1619 Project offers a revealing vision of America's past and present.
Lady Tan's Circle of Women
by Lisa See
Lisa See's latest historical novel, inspired by the true story of a woman physician from 15th-century China.

Members Recommend

The Very Long, Very Strange Life of Isaac Dahl
    by Bart Yates

A saga spanning 12 significant days across nearly 100 years in the life of a single man.

L T C O of the B

Win This Book
Win Smothermoss

Smothermoss by Alisa Alering

A haunting, imaginative, and twisting tale of two sisters and the menacing, unexplained forces that threaten them and their rural mountain community.