What readers think of Zorro, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Zorro

May 2006, 416 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Zorro

Brielle

Exciting!!!!
I really loved this book!! It was a really good mix of adventure, romance, and humor, with enough history for it to qualify as historical fiction (so it works for school). I loved it!!! I definitely recommend it!!!
Faith

The best story
Zorro is an awesome book/movie.
I had a book charter day and I dressed up as him.
This book is just like movie but better.
Eveyone should read this you can't stop its just sooooooo good!
READ IT! IT'S AWSOME!
David

Brings together most Zorro ideas
Like Robin Hood, Zorro is a story that almost everyone knows, but few have read. The original book by Johnston McCulley is out of print and available in very few libraries. The Mark of Zorro 1920 with Douglas Fairbanks is very true to the book. Zorro, and especially Bernardo his Indian companion, have come a very long way from the original master/servant relationship written in 1919 to Allende's making them inseparable blood brothers in 2005. I don't know if her changes were to modernize the story for today's audience, or a social agenda, or just a device to move the story along. It is not to make it a prettier story. Allende's book adds a lot more ugliness to the story than McCulley's whippings and stolen kiss.

I give Allende high marks for her clever plot twists and reasoning concerning the development of the Zorro character and her research. I reduce her marks somewhat because of the rambling style and then rush to the end. It would have made an excellent draft, but as it was published as is, it is merely good.
Candice

Excellent, but I wanted more
I love Zorro and the stories surrounding Zorro. When I started this book I was very excited and I loved the way the author handled the beginnings of Zorro. However, being a diehard Zorro fan I wanted to know more of the story involving Esparanza. Other than that I highly recommendthis book.

Join BookBrowse

for a year of great reading
about exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: The Prince and the Coyote
    The Prince and the Coyote
    by David Bowles
    At fifteen, Crown Prince Acolmiztli is preparing to enter the calmecac, the temple school that will ...
  • Book Jacket: North Woods
    North Woods
    by Daniel Mason
    "History haunts him who does not honor it." This incidental line from Daniel Mason's North Woods ...
    One Puzzling Afternoon
    by Emily Critchley
    While British author Emily Critchley's graceful novel One Puzzling Afternoon is about cognitive ...
  • Book Jacket: A Haunting in Hialeah Gardens
    A Haunting in Hialeah Gardens
    by Raul Palma
    Raul Palma's debut novel A Haunting in Hialeah Gardens introduces Hugo Contreras, who came to the ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mercury Pictures Presents
by Anthony Marra
A timeless story of love, deceit, and sacrifice set in Mussolini's Italy and 1940s Los Angeles.

Members Recommend

Alfie and Me
    by Carl Safina

A moving account of raising, then freeing, an orphaned screech owl. Three starred reviews!

The Witches at the End of the World
    by Chelsea Iversen

Two sisters find themselves at odds in this historical fantasy set during a dark Norwegian winter.

To win without risk is to triumph without glory

One N U G