MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Autobiography of a Face, plus links to write your own review.

Autobiography of a Face

by Lucy Grealy

Autobiography of a Face

Sep 1994, 223 pages
    Mar 2003, 256 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for Autobiography of a Face

Jeriah Smith (09/19/12)

Autobiography of a face
I'm a freshman in English 1 and our class had to read the book and it's a very true story and every one should read this.
jashawna perry (05/20/10)

summary
This book was about a women named Lucy Grealy. When she was nine years old and had a very bad cancer called Ewing sarcoma. When she grew up she was taunted by all her classmates and people who really didn't even know her at all so she went through life trying to face her fears and going out into the real world and not being afraid to show whats wrong with her.
ERIC bISHOP (03/09/09)

Eric
I think autobiography of a face is very interesting. A child that finds out that she has cancer and has to continue life with a disfigured face is something scary that you have to deal with and think about a lot. Living as a women that has to go through chemotherapy for five years and fifteen years of just not feeling a part of, or fitting into, society is something sad to go through. You have to be tough and strong-minded to ever surpassed these types of obstacles. I feel that this book is very guiding for readers that have similar problems.
Hiral (09/27/07)

Life about Growing up
This is an outstanding memoir of cancer survivor from age 9 through adulthood and how she dealt with her disfigurement after having half her jaw removed. Very well told. Now I need to find Truth and Beauty by Ann Patchet, the epilogue to this story about Lucy Greely. This book is a truly wonderful read a testimony to the resilience of the human spirit and like me, if you happen to be interested in the field of medicine, there is a lot of information here about hospitals in general and plastic surgery procedures. You should read it, I mean I just love it.
English Student (08/14/07)

Great Book
I am a sophomore English student and we had to read this book for class - I really enjoyed it - it's a book everyone needs to read
Madison Hull (11/15/06)

Awesome
This book was one of the best books I've read. Everyone should read this book.

• Book Jacket: City of Secrets
    City of Secrets
    by Stewart O'Nan
    In his new novel, City of Secrets, Stewart O'Nan spins a tale of espionage and intrigue as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...
  • Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun