What readers think of Never Let Me Go, plus links to write your own review.

Never Let Me Go

Mar 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 18 reader reviews for Never Let Me Go

Mal

Unconventional narrative
Unconventional story with themes of memory and dignity. The story leaves you reflecting on its emotional aftermath as well as memories of close friends and foes from past who left an impression and situations both finished and unfinished.

The three main characters' contrasting personalities captured my attention. Their differences made them compelling and authentic.

I found myself considering the possibilities of science/medicine with a new lens - undoubtedly thought provoking.
Isla

Never Let Me Go
A good book that is for teenagers but mainly adults. A different storyline then other books but one that you can easily follow.
Cloggie Downunder

rather tedious
Never Let Me Go is the sixth novel by Japanese author Kazuo Ishiguro. It is narrated in an almost conversational style by Kathy H., a thirty-one-year-old carer. Kathy reflects back on her life so far: her childhood at Hailsham School, a transitional period at The Cottages with her closest friends from Hailsham, and her working life caring for donors. In many ways, Hailsham resembles a typical English boarding school, giving its residents a sheltered upbringing, although it is soon apparent that this is no ordinary academic institution, and these students are, in fact, destined for a vastly different fate. Kathy’s narration concentrates on interactions between the students themselves and with their guardians, dwelling on incidents, conversations and reactions; it sounds, for a woman of her age, quite immature. It may have been shortlisted for the 2005 Man Booker Prize, and has been described as brilliant. Never the less, some readers will find the characters unappealing and the whole execution rather tedious.
Jacki

QUESTIONS
Although I liked the content of this book I feel we are left with many questions in the end. Where do the possibles come from? Will Kathy be a donor now? What happened to the children at Hailsham when it closed? These questions and more should have been answered in the book. Over all it was alright. A little hard to get into in the beginning but could have been worse.
Rob D

Rob
This book's greatest asset is the originality of its combination of the sacrifices required for scientific discovery and the lives of those making the sacrifices. My personal belief however is that the book focused too heavily on the well worn path of human relationship yet only scrapped the surface of the scientific theme. This in effect left numerous unanswered questions about the scientific topics raised and hence no closure for the reader.

In summary, a great concept that evolved well but didn't quite wrap up as well as could be expected.
Deb

Confusing story, disjointed
I am an avid reader of all types of books. This book sounded interesting. It took me 3 weeks to read this book! The story was fractured and hard to follow. I felt compelled to finish it, but would not recommend it.
Katy Booklover

Held out hope it'd get better. It didn't.
By the end of the first chapter, I seriously considered putting this book down for good. Snoozefest! However, based on all of the reviews and accolades, I believed it would get better. Unfortunately, it did not.

I felt as though I were having a conversation with a sing-songy teenager who is unable to complete any story she sets out to tell. The narrator, Kathy, constantly speaks in disjointed patterns. It seems in every chapter, she'd start with a thought and then have to "back-up" to the beginning. I could not identify with one character, or one situation throughout the novel.

Many reviewers tend to focus on the emotional themes within the book. I may be "daft" (a word completely overused within the book), but the narrative was so shallow and boring, I was unable to pull anything out of it.

Don't waste your time!
gene adair

boring
This is the most boring 'book' I have had the misfortune of trying to read... 67 pages in, I give up...I hope they all get their worst and take Mr. Ishiguro with them...

Let me go ...now...

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: Bad Cree
    Bad Cree
    by Jessica Johns
    Jessica Johns' debut novel Bad Cree was inspired by her desire to disprove the idea, suggested by an...
  • Book Jacket: The Terraformers
    The Terraformers
    by Annalee Newitz
    Sask-E is a planet that Verdance, a major terraforming company, has big plans for. Their business is...
  • Book Jacket: The Light Pirate
    The Light Pirate
    by Lily Brooks-Dalton
    The lynchpin of The Light Pirate by Lily Brooks-Dalton, a novel split into four parts, is the main ...
  • Book Jacket: The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    by Franny Choi
    Calamity can cohabit with joy, and you and I have, on some plane, accepted that absurd reality. We ...

The Love of My Life
by Rosie Walsh
An up-all-night love story wrapped in a mystery from the New York Times bestselling author of Ghosted.

Members Recommend

River Sing Me Home
    by Eleanor Shearer

A remarkable debut about a mother's gripping journey across the Caribbean to find her stolen children in the aftermath of slavery.

Margot
    by Wendell Steavenson

A young woman struggles to break free of her upper-class upbringing amid the whirlwind years of the sexual revolution.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win French Braid

French Braid
by Anne Tyler

From the beloved Pulitzer Prize–winning author, a joyful journey deep into one Baltimore family's foibles.

It's A G T Me