Reader reviews and comments on Saturday, plus links to write your own review.

Saturday

Apr 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Saturday

Velma

A Master of Writing
Masterful writing! I do not believe that I would have finished this book if it had been written by a less skilled writer. McEwan draws you into an ordinary day for an imaginary character and makes it real. This book would be a real joy for any aspiring writer to study.
Leonard Browne

24 - London style
With every page read we are drawn deeper into the life and world of neurologist Henry Perowne, as Ian McEwan reveals as he penetrates the mind and inner workings of his main character. A highly successful surgeon, with a family he loves dearly, Henry's weekly day of leisure turns out to be anything but. Set in the early months of 2003, on the day of mass anti-war protests in London, McEwan creates a whole life by way of memories reflections and interactions. I found the story compelling, mainly because of the author's ability to write in great detail about the minutae of Perowne's job or family or uncertainties in such a way as to have me almost always reading something that was both informative and believable. What we get is a profound insight into the creative -but sometimes destructive-tensions between a man and his environment, where once- held certainties are increasingly challenged, and what really matters in Perowne's life is underscored.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Transcendent Kingdom
    Transcendent Kingdom
    by Yaa Gyasi
    Yaa Gyasi's (pronounced "yah jessie") Transcendent Kingdom is, among other things, a meditation on ...
  • Book Jacket: We Are Not Free
    We Are Not Free
    by Traci Chee
    Author Traci Chee is best known for her young adult fantasy trilogy, The Reader series. We Are Not ...
  • Book Jacket: The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    by Jennifer Hofmann
    The title of Jennifer Hofmann's perceptive debut novel with its bureaucratese strongly suggests a ...
  • Book Jacket: His Only Wife
    His Only Wife
    by Peace Adzo Medie
    21-year-old Afi is a talented Ghanaian seamstress eager to study fashion design, but her life is ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

The Shadow King
by Maaza Mengiste

An unforgettable epic shortlisted for the 2020 Booker Prize, and named a best book of the year by the New York Times.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C