What readers think of On Hitler's Mountain, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

On Hitler's Mountain

Feb 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 5 reader reviews for On Hitler's Mountain

Kathy Pohlman

Facinating read!
Irmgard's depiction of her life gave me insight into my G Grandmother Pohlmans' life in the Austrian Alps. I'm grateful she was generous enough to share her story. I now have even more respect for German's who found themselves under Hitlers spell and how it could have been any of us, given the same circumstances.
Joan from Arkansas

Watch out America!
I could not put the book down once I started reading!

Thank you Irmgard for giving Americans an insight to just what can happen in America if we don't heed the warnings. We are on the way I am afraid. Every American should read this account! Thank you.
Wanda T. Crow

On Hitler's Mountain, Overcoming the Legacy of a Nazi Childhood
I'm in the middle of your book at present. I can hardly put it down.

I was born in 1933 & my sister in 1934 - Arkansas, U.S.A. I was struck by your close-knit family, as mine was. Your family not really realizing what was going on, but felt compelled to follow their leader. I empathise with your grandparents feelings about your leader. They were very wise, then later proved correct.

Being approximately your age, I was so fearful of my three brothers having to serve in the military. My oldest brother missed it by a few months. After the war he was a pilot and flew supplies to Germany during their reconstruction.

You mentioned in your book being aware of wives waiting for letters from their military husbands. I did the same here and when they didn't get one, they would be so sad. Several of the men in my neighborhood gave up their lives there, as your dad did.

We were across the world from each other, but tended to have some of the same feelings about the war, as little girls.

I'm anxious to finish your book and happy that you survived.
liane gutman

Ill at ease, perched on Hitler's knee.
The book speaks to us, without apologies. It speaks for Irmgard Hunt

Barbara

I can hear my mother's voice
Growing up, I often heard many stories of what it was like growing up in Germany during the Hitler years. In recent years, occasionally someone would say that all Germans knew what was going on and condoned the actions of the Nazi regime. Thankfully, the author duplicates and validates many of the stories I'd always heard from my Mom. Truly interesting and told in a very comfortable style; I'd recommend to anyone who wants a eyewitness view to a troubled time.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Liberty Equality Fashion
    Liberty Equality Fashion
    by Anne Higonnet
    With the title Liberty Equality Fashion, it may seem like Anne Higonnet's new book is an unserious ...
  • Book Jacket: Real Americans
    Real Americans
    by Rachel Khong
    Rachel Khong's sophomore novel Real Americans is an intergenerational saga that questions racial and...
  • Book Jacket: A Short Walk Through a Wide World
    A Short Walk Through a Wide World
    by Douglas Westerbeke
    From the very first page of A Short Walk Through a Wide World, debut novelist (and librarian!) ...
  • Book Jacket: The Swans of Harlem
    The Swans of Harlem
    by Karen Valby
    Journalist Karen Valby's first book, The Swans of Harlem, introduces readers to the little-known ...

BookBrowse Book Club

The Familiar
by Leigh Bardugo
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author Leigh Bardugo comes a spellbinding novel set in the Spanish Golden Age.

Members Recommend

This Strange Eventful History
    by Claire Messud

An immersive, masterful story of a family born on the wrong side of history.

Win This Book
Win Only the Brave

Only the Brave by Danielle Steel

A powerful, sweeping historical novel about a courageous woman in World War II Germany.

R is a D B S C