MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on On Hitler's Mountain, plus links to write your own review.

On Hitler's Mountain

Feb 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 5 reader reviews for On Hitler's Mountain

Kathy Pohlman

Facinating read!
Irmgard's depiction of her life gave me insight into my G Grandmother Pohlmans' life in the Austrian Alps. I'm grateful she was generous enough to share her story. I now have even more respect for German's who found themselves under Hitlers spell and how it could have been any of us, given the same circumstances.
Joan from Arkansas

Watch out America!
I could not put the book down once I started reading!

Thank you Irmgard for giving Americans an insight to just what can happen in America if we don't heed the warnings. We are on the way I am afraid. Every American should read this account! Thank you.
Wanda T. Crow

On Hitler's Mountain, Overcoming the Legacy of a Nazi Childhood
I'm in the middle of your book at present. I can hardly put it down.

I was born in 1933 & my sister in 1934 - Arkansas, U.S.A. I was struck by your close-knit family, as mine was. Your family not really realizing what was going on, but felt compelled to follow their leader. I empathise with your grandparents feelings about your leader. They were very wise, then later proved correct.

Being approximately your age, I was so fearful of my three brothers having to serve in the military. My oldest brother missed it by a few months. After the war he was a pilot and flew supplies to Germany during their reconstruction.

You mentioned in your book being aware of wives waiting for letters from their military husbands. I did the same here and when they didn't get one, they would be so sad. Several of the men in my neighborhood gave up their lives there, as your dad did.

We were across the world from each other, but tended to have some of the same feelings about the war, as little girls.

I'm anxious to finish your book and happy that you survived.
liane gutman

Ill at ease, perched on Hitler's knee.
The book speaks to us, without apologies. It speaks for Irmgard Hunt

Barbara

I can hear my mother's voice
Growing up, I often heard many stories of what it was like growing up in Germany during the Hitler years. In recent years, occasionally someone would say that all Germans knew what was going on and condoned the actions of the Nazi regime. Thankfully, the author duplicates and validates many of the stories I'd always heard from my Mom. Truly interesting and told in a very comfortable style; I'd recommend to anyone who wants a eyewitness view to a troubled time.

• Book Jacket: When We Were Vikings
    When We Were Vikings
    by Andrew David MacDonald
    In When We Were Vikings by Andrew David MacDonald, readers are first introduced to Zelda on her ...
  • Book Jacket: How to Build a Heart
    How to Build a Heart
    by Maria Padian
    Maria Padian is well-known for her motif of exploring teen reactions to social issues. Her novel ...
  • Book Jacket: Follow Me to Ground
    by Sue Rainsford
    Ada and her father are human-like beings who age slowly and possess the power to heal all illness. ...
  • Book Jacket: Children of the Land
    Children of the Land
    by Marcelo Hernandez Castillo
    In this exquisitely crafted memoir, Marcelo Hernandez Castillo describes coming of age as a young ...

The Girl in White Gloves
    by Kerri Maher

A fascinating and deeply researched novel of the extraordinary Grace Kelly.

The Sun Down Motel
    by Simone St. James

The chilling new novel from the national bestselling and award-winning author of The Broken Girls.

Remembrance
by Rita Woods

A breakout debut with modern resonance, perfect for fans of The Underground Railroad and Orphan Train.

Win The Lost Family

The Lost Family
by Libby Copeland

A deeply reported look at the rise of home genetic testing and the seismic shock it has had on individual lives.

A F I Need I A F I