Summer Sale! Save 20% today and get access to all our member benefits.

What readers think of Allah's Torch, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Allah's Torch

Jan 2005, 320 pages

Dec 2005, 327 pages

There is 1 reader review for Allah's Torch

Samuli

A layman's journey into... well, Indonesia
Allah's Torch makes for a pleasant, leisurely reading but is seriously undermined by the numerous, glaring factual errors (many of which concern Dahlby's interpretation of the history of Banda islands, for example: Benteng Revenge was not built by the Dutch, but rather the British; Run was never the most nutmeg-rich of the islands, quite on the contrary). Furthermore, the author insists on using a variety of terms in Indonesian language -and is lucky to get it right a few times.

More worryingly, though, the dialogues seem to be manufactured posthumously, thus bringing the authenticity of the events under scrutiny. Why do I say that? Well, take Dahlby's conversations with the venerable "Norman" as an example. This Javanese man talks as if he had been born and raised in New York, rather than the heartlands of Java. The same goes for all the characters, who, we are told, engage in discussions that no Indonesian ever would, as far as the stylistic nuances are concerned. Later in the book, Norman has a discussion with an alleged leader of radical Muslims again; the dialogue is nothing like an actual dialogue between 2 Indonesians. Those with understanding of the culture will know what I'm talking about.

Which brings me to my next point, which is the target-audience for this book. Obviously written with casual readers in mind, I guess some of the minor errors can be forgiven. However, the author is obviously partial to wildly exaggerating the danger of the situations he puts himself in. Contrary to the picture given, Indonesia in 2003 (or in 1999/2000, for that matter) was no Afghanistan c.2003; working as a journalist in Jakarta and Yogyakarta, with Bali thrown in for good measure, doesn't exactly equal to running the scoop from Sadr City. Describing the hostile glances thrown towards his general direction by skinny men in goatees gets a bit old towards the end.

All in all, while a good read to while away a couple of hour's flight or equivalent, don't buy it expecting a serious study of the subject matter.

Indonesia

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Mood Swings
    Mood Swings
    by Frankie Barnet
    This book begins with a bombastic premise. Seemingly fed up with the heating planet, the world's ...
  • Book Jacket: The Ballad of Jacquotte Delahaye
    The Ballad of Jacquotte Delahaye
    by Briony Cameron
    Our titular heroine's story begins in Yáquimo, Santo Domingo. Jacquotte Delahaye is a young ...
  • Book Jacket: Another Word for Love
    Another Word for Love
    by Carvell Wallace
    "I write about beautiful things because I live in a country that has tried to kill me and every...
    The Flower Sisters
    by Michelle Collins Anderson
    Michelle Collins Anderson's novel The Flower Sisters, based in part on a real tragedy that occurred ...

BookBrowse Book Club

The 1619 Project
by Nikole Hannah-Jones
An impactful expansion of groundbreaking journalism, The 1619 Project offers a revealing vision of America's past and present.
Win This Book
Win The Bluestockings

The Bluestockings by Susannah Gibson

An illuminating group portrait of the eighteenth-century women who dared to imagine an active life for themselves in both mind and spirit.

A W in S C