Reader reviews and comments on Sightseeing, plus links to write your own review.

Sightseeing

Jan 2005, 272 pages

There is 1 reader review for Sightseeing

SqueakyChu

A budding new talent!
I love this collection of stories! My favorites were "Farangs" and "Sightseeing." In "Farangs", the author describes how a young Thai man's attraction to a female American tourist (a farang or foreigner) materializes despite his mother's unhappiness over the situation. It's a look at how different cultures between a man and a woman can both attract and repel. "Sightseeing" is a story in which a young man takes his mother on a vacation trip after learning a startling fact about her health. The "Cockfighter" is the longest story of the collection and the one I liked the least. It's the story of a young Thai girl's watching her dad's success at cockfighting diminish due to a powerful young adversary. I feel that the author does better work when writing in the male voice.

These stories are colorful narratives of young Thai people in their own country but told in a way in which someone from the West can clearly relate. They exude tension, uncertainty, humor, and a genuine feel for dynamics of interpersonal relationships. All of the stories give the feeling of real people in challenging situations. With his fresh, sharp writing, the author gives everyone a most delightful reading experience. Bravo to this new author on his debut book!

• Book Jacket: Gateway to the Moon
    Gateway to the Moon
    by Mary Morris
    Miguel Torres is a teenager living in Entrada de la Luna, a poverty-stricken dot on the New Mexico ...
  • Book Jacket: New World, Inc.
    New World, Inc.
    by Simon Targett, John Butman
  • Book Jacket: New World, Inc.
    New World, Inc.
    by Simon Targett, John Butman
  • Book Jacket: The Ensemble
    The Ensemble
    by Aja Gabel

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

Other People's Houses