What readers think of The News from Paraguay, plus links to write your own review.

The News from Paraguay

by Lily Tuck

The News from Paraguay by Lily Tuck X
The News from Paraguay by Lily Tuck

May 2004, 285 pages

Dec 2004, 272 pages

There is 1 reader review for The News from Paraguay

Buck

I lived in Paraguay for a year as an exchange student. The period of the 1800s, from the xenophobic dictator Dr. Francia through the Lopez father and son presidencies and the attempt at empire that resulted in the War of the Triple Alliance fascinated me since then.

There were elements of Ms. Tuck's novel that I thoroughly enjoyed, although I think that she paints almost every male character as being led through life by his gonads.

I was embarrassed for the author and publisher by the stunning amount of mistakes in the Spanish in the book. It's obvious that Ms. Tuck speaks French and unfortunately the Spanish she uses in the book is full of French accent marks, French words, etc. Many of the character names, both first names and last names, are not ones that are found, as spelled, in Spanish. It make it hard for me to work through the book.

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

• Book Jacket: If I Survive You
    If I Survive You
    by Jonathan Escoffery
  • Book Jacket: Stories from the Tenants Downstairs
    Stories from the Tenants Downstairs
    by Sidik Fofana
    'Everybody got a story, everybody got a tale / Question is: Is it despair or prevail?' ...
  • Book Jacket: Fire Season
    Fire Season
    by Leyna Krow
    Fire Season is a thoroughly enjoyable novel that touches upon multiple genres and themes. It ...
  • Book Jacket: The Story of Russia