Reader reviews and comments on The Darling, plus links to write your own review.

The Darling

Oct 2005, 416 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Darling

KBrittain

Exactly that,Review
I will respectfully disagree with the above review. I think the book is very well written,and much can be learned from a story like this. Learning about the history in South Africa, places involved in the conflict that is continuing to this day is a eye-opening experience.

The sympathy the writer has for the animals left behind, the unthinkable that happens to the women and children is horrifying .A wife is made to stand by and watch her husband be killed? I won't say how,but it is a well written.

I couldn't put the book down!
R. Beckham

What happened to Russell Banks?
I kept ploughing through this book, assuming it would eventually, at some point, have to get better, in the sense that it could not continue to get embarrassingly worse, and perhaps it was all a trick. A secret to be revealed later.

But it continued to get embarrassingly worse. The characters are not credible, the plot is not credible, the dialogue is excruciating. It is painful to read, and makes the reader sorry for the author, who surely must be embarrassed by it himself. It is the kind of book that you want to destroy when you are finished, so that no one else might be tempted to start reading it.

Whatever happened to Russell Banks? Was this book written as an experiment by a middle school class?

Liberia

Join & Save $10!

Discover books that entertain, engage & enlighten. One-year membership: $29

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Book Collectors
    The Book Collectors
    by Delphine Minoui
    About halfway through The Book Collectors, I was disappointed. I came into the book with a ...
  • Book Jacket: Blue Sky Kingdom
    Blue Sky Kingdom
    by Bruce Kirkby
    Who hasn't dreamed of escaping all of the trappings of today's modern life and finding a secluded, ...
  • Book Jacket: My Heart Underwater
    My Heart Underwater
    by Laurel Fantauzzo
    Corazon — Cory — Tagubio is a Filipina-American teenager living with her family in ...
  • Book Jacket: Black Sun
    Black Sun
    by Rebecca Roanhorse
    Reading the first book in a series is always difficult because readers know that, by definition, it ...

The Blind Light
    by Stuart Evers

A multigenerational story about two families bound together by the tides of history.

The Exiles
by Christina Baker Kline

Win This Book!
Win Jack

Return to Gilead with Jack, the instant New York Times bestseller

Enter to win Marilynne Robinson's latest novel in her classic series.

I G I O Ear A O T O