MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Line of Beauty, plus links to write your own review.

by Alan Hollinghurst

Oct 2004, 400 pages
    Oct 2005, 400 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Line of Beauty

Nirmal Gerow (05/01/08)

The Line of Beauty
"The Line of Beauty" is one of the most amazing books I have read. The storytelling is wild, understated, humorous and devastating.

Nick Guest is heartbreaking in his following his line of beauty, and acceptance of all things - from his duties, desires and exploits and, most importantly, of himself. [edited for plot spoiler] The truth about Beauty is this: It is primal, messy and completely untamable.
Jan (06/29/05)

Very disappointing
I had read good reviews of this book and was delighted to be given a hard back copy for Christmas. After 80 pages I put it to one side because I wasn't enjoying the writing, the plot or the characters - a nice cover only takes you so far. Then a friend started reading it because another friend had raved about the book - so I started again, and again - this time I got to around 200 pages. Then I realized that you do not always have to finish what you start - I did have free will. So the book remains, and will remain, unfinished - Nice jacket design though!
Sarah (01/17/05)

I liked this book because the language is exquisite (of a pianist he writes: She had a lot of temperament and a terrifying left hand.) I liked it because as the reader, to understand the characters you had to behave like the main one - Nick Guest - and simply observe their behavior. The characters while not likeable in some cases and also at times caricatures were stealthily compelling - so much so that immediately after reading a book so well written, when I might normally be high on the exhilaration of words - all I felt was sad. A really good book, but still not as good as Small Island by Levy or Corelli's Madolin by de Bernieres.

• Book Jacket: City of Secrets
    City of Secrets
    by Stewart O'Nan
    In his new novel, City of Secrets, Stewart O'Nan spins a tale of espionage and intrigue as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...
  • Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun