MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Line of Beauty, plus links to write your own review.

by Alan Hollinghurst

The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst X
The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst

Oct 2004, 400 pages
    Oct 2005, 400 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Line of Beauty

Nirmal Gerow

The Line of Beauty
"The Line of Beauty" is one of the most amazing books I have read. The storytelling is wild, understated, humorous and devastating.

Nick Guest is heartbreaking in his following his line of beauty, and acceptance of all things - from his duties, desires and exploits and, most importantly, of himself. [edited for plot spoiler] The truth about Beauty is this: It is primal, messy and completely untamable.
Dhruv Kandhari

The Line of Beauty
‘The Line of Beauty’ is a novel of philosophical, subliminal depth and beauty that has sacred prose with a poetic voice rarely heard or written, it has a harmony that doesn’t only satiate the intellect, but touches the reader’s soul in a way many other novels haven’t.
Sarah

I liked this book because the language is exquisite (of a pianist he writes: She had a lot of temperament and a terrifying left hand.) I liked it because as the reader, to understand the characters you had to behave like the main one - Nick Guest - and simply observe their behavior. The characters while not likeable in some cases and also at times caricatures were stealthily compelling - so much so that immediately after reading a book so well written, when I might normally be high on the exhilaration of words - all I felt was sad. A really good book, but still not as good as Small Island by Levy or Corelli's Madolin by de Bernieres.
Jan

Very disappointing
I had read good reviews of this book and was delighted to be given a hard back copy for Christmas. After 80 pages I put it to one side because I wasn't enjoying the writing, the plot or the characters - a nice cover only takes you so far. Then a friend started reading it because another friend had raved about the book - so I started again, and again - this time I got to around 200 pages. Then I realized that you do not always have to finish what you start - I did have free will. So the book remains, and will remain, unfinished - Nice jacket design though!

• Book Jacket: The Black Cathedral
    The Black Cathedral
    by Marcial Gala
    Marcial Gala's The Black Cathedral, translated from the Spanish by Anna Kushner, is narrated through...
  • Book Jacket: When We Were Vikings
    When We Were Vikings
    by Andrew David MacDonald
    In When We Were Vikings by Andrew David MacDonald, readers are first introduced to Zelda on her ...
  • Book Jacket: How to Build a Heart
    How to Build a Heart
    by Maria Padian
    Maria Padian is well-known for her motif of exploring teen reactions to social issues. Her novel ...
  • Book Jacket: Follow Me to Ground
    by Sue Rainsford
    Ada and her father are human-like beings who age slowly and possess the power to heal all illness. ...

The Girl in White Gloves
    by Kerri Maher

A fascinating and deeply researched novel of the extraordinary Grace Kelly.

Red Letter Days
    by Sarah-Jane Stratford

A striking novel about two daring women who escape McCarthy-era Hollywood for London.

American Dirt
by Jeanine Cummins

"American Dirt is a Grapes of Wrath for our times."
—Don Winslow

Win The Lost Family

The Lost Family
by Libby Copeland

A deeply reported look at the rise of home genetic testing and the seismic shock it has had on individual lives.

A F I Need I A F I