MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Crossing California, plus links to write your own review.

Crossing California

by Adam Langer

Crossing California

Jun 2004, 448 pages
    May 2005, 512 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Crossing California

Stacy M (12/27/04)

I really LOVED this book. It was not a quick read, but i was so happy for its length. I felt like i was there in chicago. Incredible vivid descriptions and charachter development. Read this book!
Anonymous (08/17/04)

I am one of those people who vastly prefers character development to plot, and if you are like me, I'm certain you will find "Crossing California" to be an outstanding book. The members of three families struggle to find their way in 1970's. The haves and the have nots interact with each other as they cross California Avenue, a street that divides the two segments of a Chicago neighborhood. There is a good deal of humor, yet it is a bittersweet humor. One character is meant for us to love, and as a reader, I did. However the others, who are far more flawed, also evoke strong feelings. I was saddened when I finished the book, having the feeling of losing the characters who were like friends. It took me two days before I wanted to read anything else. I needed to savor these characters, before moving on to others.

• Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...

The Dark Lady's Mask
    by Mary Sharratt

Based on the life of the first professional woman poet in Renaissance England, and her collaboration with Shakespeare.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun