MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Lab 257, plus links to write your own review.

Lab 257

Feb 2004, 288 pages
    Aug 2005, 352 pages

There are currently 7 reader reviews for Lab 257

mb1

Informative coverage of a sensitive topic
Book did a nice job of covering a sensitive topic that most people are unaware of. Biological weapons are by far some of the most insidious potentially damaging weapons in the modern arsenal. It should not surprise anyone that our government is developing them, just as other governments are doing. Throughout time there has always been an arms race.
As far as Lyme disease being discovered in the mid-70's - that is a popular however untrue myth. Medical literature describes the disease as far back as the late 1800's.
The Arrow

There's even more information that he missed finding
Read the book in a very short while. Excellent. May only have scratched the surface of the problem. There may have been, as he suggests, collusion among the very 'Hallowed Ivy Covered' Halls of our most revered academic institutions ,the very institutions that are at or near the peak of the educational system in this country and this lab, furthering even more specualtion as to why there is such fierce resistance on the part of some medical communities to admitting this potential medical timebomb even exists. Kuddos to Mike Carroll.
bill june

Book was out of this world to be honest im not really a book person every book i pick up i read 10 pages and never finish.This book i couldnt put down,this guys work is simply amazing.Mike Carroll is someone with potential for greatness
ris

i couldn't put it down in the bookstore and read most of it in 2-3 hours. SCARY!!!!! especially considering i live on connecticut's coastline!!!
Ranger X

Lyme Disease didn't appear until 1975
Dee, I hate to outright call you a liar, but Lyme disease wasn't called such or discovered until the mid- to late-1970s.

Dee

Complete Nonsense!
I have a book published by the Government that talks about Lyme Disease in the 1940's. The book I have talks about the Lyme Spirochetes and tick bites and all the diseases it causes.

Obviously, Mr. Carroll did not do his research. Shame on Mr. Carroll.

Lab 257 is a powerful indictment of our government's secret plan to weaponize diseases. In this book the author presents strong evidence that one of the silent plagues, Lyme disease, came from this very lab on Plum Island. It is strong stuff and a dose of this book should send people to the streets in protest even with the author's suggestions that in our present world of terrorism and rogue states the US needs a lab such as this for protection. The question that arises is how do we protect ourselves from our own government's inability to make us safe from their experiments highly contagious and deadly germs. The answer is-they can't.

Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...
  • Book Jacket: Run Me to Earth
    Run Me to Earth
    by Paul Yoon
    Suspenseful and elegant storytelling in Run Me to Earth kept me turning pages even through traumatic...
  • Book Jacket: Beheld
    Beheld
    by TaraShea Nesbit
    Much like her debut novel The Wives of Los Alamos, TaraShea Nesbit's Beheld imagines a familiar ...
  • Book Jacket: My Dark Vanessa
    My Dark Vanessa
    by Kate Russell
    The plot of Kate Elizabeth Russell's My Dark Vanessa follows the life of Vanessa Wye, who at the age...

The Mountains Sing
    by Nguyen Phan Que Mai

An enveloping, multigenerational tale set against the backdrop of the Viet Nam War.

And They Called It Camelot
    by Stephanie Marie Thornton

An unforgettable portrait of American legend Jackie O.

The Things They Carried
by Tim O'Brien

The classic, ground-breaking meditation on war and the redemptive power of storytelling.

Win The Firsts

The Inside Story of the Women Reshaping Congress

"An intimately told story, with detailed and thought-provoking portraits..."
--New York Times