What readers think of The Amateur Marriage, plus links to write your own review.

The Amateur Marriage

by Anne Tyler

The Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler X
The Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler

Jan 2004, 320 pages

Oct 2004, 336 pages

There is 1 reader review for The Amateur Marriage

countrygirl

Anne Tyler just keeps getting better and better. The Amateur Marriage is a sometimes painful, sometimes sad, sometimes funny look into the marriage of Pauline and Michael Anton, a mismatched couple who endure a 30-year union. What I most like about Anne Tyler is that she makes us realize through her characters that we are all flawed human beings, but that is what makes us lovable. This book has a darker feel to it than her other novels, but that is inherent in exploring the subject matter of a bad marriage. Oddly though, I didn't find the book depressing. What this book has in common with Tyler's other work is that is shows how we endure life's tragedies and find a way to carry on, and I find that uplifing.

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

Fire Season
    by Philip Connors
    Fire Season is an anatomy of solitude, a paean to a wild American landscape, a history of wildfires ...
  • Book Jacket: The Story of Russia
    The Story of Russia
    by Orlando Figes
  • Book Jacket: Moth
    Moth
    by Melody Razak
    On August 15, 1947, India gained independence from the United Kingdom, and on that same day the ...
  • Book Jacket: All the Lonely People
    All the Lonely People
    by Mike Gayle
    Mike Gayle's charming novel All the Lonely People introduces us to Hubert Bird, an 82-year-old ...

The Ways We Hide