What readers think of The Great Influenza, plus links to write your own review.

The Epic Story of the 1918 Pandemic

Jan 2005, 560 pages

There are currently 8 reader reviews for The Great Influenza

Margaret

The Great Influenza
As a nurse, I found it amazing. The author explained things in such a way anybody could understand. It scared me and amazed me.
KC

Great Information
I found this book to be very enlightening and learned a lot about the disease, the times, the mentality, and the sciences of the day. I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to know about this tragic time in our history. I found it easy to ready, which cannot always be said for books in this genre.
Anne Howard

The Great Influenza
At first you wonder why John M. Barry is going way back to the early 1800's to talk about 1918. Then, as you are drawn into the history, like emerging into the wide end of a funnel, you get it. The history of medical education and practice, the political climate in WWI, the social situation in large and small communities, all are necessary to begin to comprehend the enormity of the crisis.

Then you think, "But we know better now." Do we?
Alex Sheach

Outstanding detailed and complete. Barry not only describes the progress of the epidemic, but also examines the society it ravaged. Detailed biographies of the major medical and scientific professionals involved include insight into their individual characters and how those characteristics manifested during the fight against the disease.
Alan

The Great Influenza
This book I read for my English class and I thought it was a very touching book about one of the most deadliest plagues in History.
Sandra Franklin

Good information but poorly written
I appreciated the information in this book, but it appears that Mr. Barry has never diagramed a sentence in his entire life. Very poor sentence structure, and hopelessly repetitive when trying to make different points about the same subject. The book could have been reduced by half if Mr. Barry knew how to write.

Where were the editors for this book? They certainly missed their opportunity.

In Chapter 28, page 323, Mr. Barry refers to a Mrs. George Wharton Pepper as being a descendant of Benjamin Franklin, however, that is rather an impossible thing to be since Mr. Franklin had no children.
Tony Montana

Garbage
This book was trash. It was redundant, and, upon reading the first page, I would rather get the Great Influenza than continue reading it.
Andy Coffman

Borderline Criminal
This book was terribly writen. It is so repetitive as to be self-defeating. It's grammaticaly pedantic insofaras to be insulting to historians and scholars everwhere. He introduces quotes and evidence poorly and fails to promote historically cogent practices. The author is the antithesis of a qualified scholor endeavoring to provide readers with subjective yet engaging narrative.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Code Breaker
    The Code Breaker
    by Walter Isaacson
    What makes humans human? It's a mystery that has inspired philosophers and driven scientific ...
  • Book Jacket: Genesis
    Genesis
    by Guido Tonelli
    Popular science books represent an important niche in non-fiction. They build a bridge between ...
  • Book Jacket: Buses Are a Comin'
    Buses Are a Comin'
    by Charles Person, Richard Rooker
    Charles Person was just 18 years old in 1961 when he became the youngest of the first wave of '...
  • Book Jacket: Firekeeper's Daughter
    Firekeeper's Daughter
    by Angeline Boulley
    Angeline Boulley's young adult novel Firekeeper's Daughter follows 18-year-old Daunis — ...

The Girl in His Shadow
by Audrey Blake
The story of one woman who believed in scientific medicine before the world believed in her.

A Theater for Dreamers
    by Polly Samson

A spellbinding tour-de-force about the beauty between naïveté and cruelty, artist and muse.

Ariadne
    by Jennifer Saint

A mesmerizing debut novel about Ariadne, Princess of Crete for fans of Madeline Miller's Circe.

Harvard is the storehouse of knowledge because the freshmen bring so much in and the graduates take so little out.

A S I T closet