MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Great Influenza, plus links to write your own review.

The Epic Story of the 1918 Pandemic

Jan 2005, 560 pages

There are currently 8 reader reviews for The Great Influenza

Margaret

The Great Influenza
As a nurse, I found it amazing. The author explained things in such a way anybody could understand. It scared me and amazed me.
KC

Great Information
I found this book to be very enlightening and learned a lot about the disease, the times, the mentality, and the sciences of the day. I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to know about this tragic time in our history. I found it easy to ready, which cannot always be said for books in this genre.
Anne Howard

The Great Influenza
At first you wonder why John M. Barry is going way back to the early 1800's to talk about 1918. Then, as you are drawn into the history, like emerging into the wide end of a funnel, you get it. The history of medical education and practice, the political climate in WWI, the social situation in large and small communities, all are necessary to begin to comprehend the enormity of the crisis.

Then you think, "But we know better now." Do we?
Alex Sheach

Outstanding detailed and complete. Barry not only describes the progress of the epidemic, but also examines the society it ravaged. Detailed biographies of the major medical and scientific professionals involved include insight into their individual characters and how those characteristics manifested during the fight against the disease.
Alan

The Great Influenza
This book I read for my English class and I thought it was a very touching book about one of the most deadliest plagues in History.
Sandra Franklin

Good information but poorly written
I appreciated the information in this book, but it appears that Mr. Barry has never diagramed a sentence in his entire life. Very poor sentence structure, and hopelessly repetitive when trying to make different points about the same subject. The book could have been reduced by half if Mr. Barry knew how to write.

Where were the editors for this book? They certainly missed their opportunity.

In Chapter 28, page 323, Mr. Barry refers to a Mrs. George Wharton Pepper as being a descendant of Benjamin Franklin, however, that is rather an impossible thing to be since Mr. Franklin had no children.
Tony Montana

Garbage
This book was trash. It was redundant, and, upon reading the first page, I would rather get the Great Influenza than continue reading it.
Andy Coffman

Borderline Criminal
This book was terribly writen. It is so repetitive as to be self-defeating. It's grammaticaly pedantic insofaras to be insulting to historians and scholars everwhere. He introduces quotes and evidence poorly and fails to promote historically cogent practices. The author is the antithesis of a qualified scholor endeavoring to provide readers with subjective yet engaging narrative.

• Book Jacket: A Dredging in Swann
    A Dredging in Swann
    by Tim Garvin
    A Dredging in Swann, set in fictional Swann County, North Carolina, centers around fresh-out-of-the-...
  • Book Jacket: The Black Cathedral
    The Black Cathedral
    by Marcial Gala
    Marcial Gala's The Black Cathedral, translated from the Spanish by Anna Kushner, is narrated through...
  • Book Jacket: When We Were Vikings
    When We Were Vikings
    by Andrew David MacDonald
    In When We Were Vikings by Andrew David MacDonald, readers are first introduced to Zelda on her ...
  • Book Jacket: How to Build a Heart
    How to Build a Heart
    by Maria Padian
    Maria Padian is well-known for her motif of exploring teen reactions to social issues. Her novel ...

Red Letter Days
    by Sarah-Jane Stratford

A striking novel about two daring women who escape McCarthy-era Hollywood for London.

The Splendid and the Vile
    by Erik Larson

A fresh and compelling portrait of Winston Churchill and London during the Blitz.

Remembrance
by Rita Woods

A breakout debut with modern resonance, perfect for fans of The Underground Railroad and Orphan Train.

Win The Lost Family

The Lost Family
by Libby Copeland

A deeply reported look at the rise of home genetic testing and the seismic shock it has had on individual lives.

A F I Need I A F I