MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Land That Never Was, plus links to write your own review.

The Land That Never Was

Sir Gregor MacGregor and the Most Audacious Fraud in History

by David Sinclair

The Land That Never Was

Jan 2004, 384 pages
    Jan 2005, 384 pages

There is 1 reader review for The Land That Never Was

Graeme Foster (08/30/07)

The Innocence of the Regency Period.
'The Land That Never Was', David Sinclair's astonishing account of the career of Gregor MacGregor, possibly the greatest swindler of his day, makes one incredulous at the credulity of those of another age. MacGregor was successful in convincing thousands of otherwise educated Europeans that he was the appointed ruler of a land far away; somewhere between Nicaragua and Panama. Poyais, as he named it, was an unsullied paradise-on-earth, just waiting to be exploited. MacGregor, the self-styled Cazique of Poyais placed himself in Regency Britain to sell mythical real estate to a willing public.
How and why he was able to sustain this ruse so capably for so long is really the astonishing nature of the tale. In a world of Google Earth and instant communication, such hoodwinking is impossible. But in a sketchy world of terra incognita and tenuous communication all sorts of hanky panky was apparently possible.
The Cazique MacGregor must have had a blindingly charismatic personality as he was able to maintain a veneer of innocence, transferring blame to others, even after the exposure of the scam.
The Land That Never Was is a truly remarkable vignette of an age of possibilities which embraced even the impossible.

• Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo
    Who defines us? Do we ourselves, or does the society in which we live? Meredith Russo's ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo
    The Lost Child
    by Caryl Phillips
    The Lost Child is a modern novel constructed within a historical frame, invoking one of the most ...

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Win The Charmers

The Charmers by Elizabeth Adler

"This tale of romantic suspense makes the perfect beach read."
—Library Journal