Reader reviews and comments on The Pleasure of My Company, plus links to write your own review.

The Pleasure of My Company

by Steve Martin

The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin X
The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin

Oct 2003, 163 pages
    Oct 2004, 163 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Pleasure of My Company

Adelle

This book was wonderful. I laughed so hard so many times. I felt the emotions of Daniel. He was sweet, funny, strange - All in one. I was truly sad that this book had to end...

Everyone needs to read this book!
Shelly

Gets you thinking
When you dream at night and your mind makes up these odd scenarios in your head it seems normal, but Daniel makes them up in the daytime about bystanders and people who frequent into his life. He overcomes many things that trap him into that world and the ending will surprise you.
Scott Wampler

THE PLEASURE OF MY COMPANY, Steve Martin's second almost-full-length novel, is even better than the one that preceded it, SHOPGIRL. It tells the story of a man whose sicknesses and psychological conditions render him paralyzed against leaving his small apartment, and he ends up starting a relationship with the female nurse, Clarissa, who comes by to check on him.

I thought the book was funny as hell throughout, but I wasn't expecting such heartfelt moments. These don't all occur at the end, either, but throughout the book, providing a balance to the hilarious stuff.

I particularly liked the dream sequence where out protaganist hallucinates/dreams about a group of flying mimes who visit him with peanut butter. This scene also contains a cameo by none other than Tony Danza, which certainly wasn't expected. I'm not sure that Mr. Danza would appreciate the light in which he appears in the scene (as the cruel, hemmorhoid-afflicted leader of the mimes with a set of Mickey Mouse ears perched atop his head), but it is comedy, after all, and I'm sure Mr. Danza has a good sense of humor about these kinds of things.

I would strongly recommend THE PLEASURE OF MY COMPANY to anyone who enjoyed Mr. Martin's previous novel, and especially to anyone looking for a light, funny read.
Robert Natale

Most disappointing-----particularly after the promise held by his last effort. This was pap---pure and simple. So very trite, so very obvious, so very contrived. You'll be let down.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: White Too Long
    White Too Long
    by Robert P. Jones
    Religious scholar Robert P. Jones doesn't pull any punches in his latest book, White Too Long: The ...
  • Book Jacket: Caste
    Caste
    by Isabel Wilkerson
    In 2020, the word "racist" remains taboo. Conceptually, racism is so culturally unacceptable, so ...
  • Book Jacket: The Deepest South of All
    The Deepest South of All
    by Richard Grant
    Author Richard Grant frequently uses his wanderlust to explore diverse stories that create a complex...
  • Book Jacket: Piranesi
    Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke
    Our First Impressions readers were delighted with this speculative novel by Susanna Clarke, her ...

The Blind Light
    by Stuart Evers

A multigenerational story about two families bound together by the tides of history.

Where the Light Enters
by Sara Donati

An enthralling epic about two trailblazing female doctors in 19th century New York.

Win Agent Sonya

Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy

Master storyteller Ben Macintyre tells the true story behind the Cold War's most intrepid female spy.

I I M B T Give T T R