Reader reviews and comments on They Marched Into Sunlight, plus links to write your own review.

They Marched Into Sunlight

War and Peace Vietnam and America October 1967

by David Maraniss

They Marched Into Sunlight

Oct 2003, 592 pages
    Oct 2004, 608 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for They Marched Into Sunlight

Bobby D. (02/12/05)

Once in a very long while comes a book that is a single amazing achievement. This book draws you into its world and vibrates in your mind like marbles in a jar as you read. David Maraniss accomplishment is totally overwhelming in it’s detail and depiction of every mans perception of truth. Told with an honest tone and little noticeable bias his story sums up years of protest and war. I often mention my favorite book of all time (non-fiction) is Neil Sheehan’s, A BRIGHT SHINING LIE. A book that simply explains the unexplainable reasons of Vietnam through the telling of the life of John Paul Vann. Now Maraniss expands the canvas, viewing the Vietnam experience through the eyes of a multi-character epic. Just by telling the story of the people and places all one month, October 1967. It is pitch perfect, sad, wonderful, ugly, glorious, and so wonderfully written that I defy you to turn away. I can not recommend this more highly. One of the great books defining the Vietnam era experience.
Craig Hullinger (03/31/04)

Great book. I strongly recommend it. Tying in the protest movement to the war was very effective. As a Vietnam Vet, I find the war stories far more compelling than the protest movement.

• Book Jacket: All We Have Left
    by Louise Penny
  • Book Jacket: Homegoing
    Homegoing
    by Yaa Gyasi

Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: