Reader reviews and comments on Elizabeth Costello, plus links to write your own review.

Elizabeth Costello

by J M Coetzee

Elizabeth Costello by J M Coetzee

Oct 2003, 240 pages
    Oct 2004, 224 pages

There are currently 5 reader reviews for Elizabeth Costello

J.A.M. (12/30/04)

Yawn, though challenging, in the end a boring exegesis.
David Levine (11/29/04)

Coetzee wrote thise stories to read at scholarly conferences. While the ideas behinding them are always fascinating, they don't always work well as stories. They have all the brilliance and not much of the power of Coetzee's novels. I kept reading to find out what Coetzee thought about the issues he raises -- african literature, animal rights. But the characters didn't always rise to the level of the ideas they were discussing.
Sarah (09/10/04)

This book is amazing! While I was reading it, I thought I hated it. I couldn't stand the characters and was truly bored out of my mind. When I finished it, I was in awe. I don't want to give anything away but you will feel like you were rewarded for a great accomplishment if you finish this book.
Johanes (11/17/03)

Trul, Costello stole my heart. Coetzee writes for people with a specific outlook to life, and this work especially is one that typifies his writing. May be, he has a limited readership. and very few people will read through this one, but it is always his previlege that his readers are serious about their reading, and that they work with his mind to bring out a text that is the combined outcome of the reader and the writer.
Elise (11/09/03)

This is a challenging, grim book, but worth the effort. Other reviewers call Coetzee mentally or morally rigorous. Both are true. At times, I felt defeated by the loftiness and vagueness of Costello's arguments. But the writing is so elegant and spare that I felt compelled to continue. Costello is a brilliant, tired woman and endearing due to her common fallibility. I felt uplifted from the exercise of reading this book.

Discover your next great read here

Ghachar Ghochar
    by Vivek Shanbhag
    The Bengaluru (aka Bangalore) that has dominated economic news headlines over the past decade is the...
  • Book Jacket: Caught in the Revolution

The Atomic Weight of Love
by Elizabeth J. Church

Lola
    by Melissa Scrivner Love

An astonishing debut crime thriller about an unforgettable woman.

Mercies in Disguise
    by Gina Kolata

A story of hope, a family's genetic destiny, and the science that rescued them.

Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

O My D B