Reader reviews and comments on The Fortress of Solitude, plus links to write your own review.

The Fortress of Solitude

by Jonathan Lethem

The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem X
The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem

Sep 2003, 528 pages
    Aug 2004, 560 pages

There is 1 reader review for The Fortress of Solitude

Dan Salmon

Something about the raw honesty of this book, its willingness to explore the flaws and strengths of ALL of it's key characters, it's ability to explain these character flaws, biographically, without necessarily excusing them, or even judging them (morally or ethically), the humour, the pathos and the incredible mixture of knowledge, love, affection, fear and loathing the main character (and thus to a certain extent the author) combined to make it one of the most engaging, thoughtprovoking and emotional reads I have had for a long time.
At a time when most of the world is in a spin, literature seems to be making a comeback. I have read a number of fantastic books by author's of my (under 40) generation in the past year. As my shocked laughter near the end of the book turned quickly to wracking sobs, i took comfort in the fact that literature truly is again becoming one of the few relevant artforms to reflect the contemporary human experience.

Yay!

• Book Jacket: Divide Me By Zero
    Divide Me By Zero
    by Lara Vapnyar
    Divide Me By Zero begins with an encounter between the narrator, Katya Geller, a 40-something mother...
  • Book Jacket: Mighty Justice
    Mighty Justice
    by Dovey Johnson Roundtree , Katie McCabe
    What it's about:
    Dovey Johnson Roundtree was one of two lawyers who won the landmark case "Sarah ...
  • Book Jacket: The Seine
    The Seine
    by Elaine Sciolino
    Of the 24 members who reviewed Elaine Sciolino's The Seine: The River that Made Paris for BookBrowse...
  • Book Jacket: Fireborne
    Fireborne
    by Rosaria Munda
    Inspired by classical political theory and the French Revolution, Rosaria Munda's YA debut Fireborne...

Mighty Justice
    by Dovey Johnson Roundtree & Katie McCabe

An inspiring life story that speaks urgently to our troubled times.

Ordinary Girls
    by Jaquira DĂ­az

Reminiscent of Tara Westover's Educate and Roxane Gay's Hunger--a memoir that reads as electrically as a novel.

Win Home for Erring and Outcast Girls

From the author of
Calling Me Home

An emotionally raw and resonant story of two young women connected by a home for "fallen girls," and inspired by historical events.

W G Up M C D