MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Fortress of Solitude, plus links to write your own review.

The Fortress of Solitude

by Jonathan Lethem

The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem X
The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem

Sep 2003, 528 pages
    Aug 2004, 560 pages

There is 1 reader review for The Fortress of Solitude

Dan Salmon

Something about the raw honesty of this book, its willingness to explore the flaws and strengths of ALL of it's key characters, it's ability to explain these character flaws, biographically, without necessarily excusing them, or even judging them (morally or ethically), the humour, the pathos and the incredible mixture of knowledge, love, affection, fear and loathing the main character (and thus to a certain extent the author) combined to make it one of the most engaging, thoughtprovoking and emotional reads I have had for a long time.
At a time when most of the world is in a spin, literature seems to be making a comeback. I have read a number of fantastic books by author's of my (under 40) generation in the past year. As my shocked laughter near the end of the book turned quickly to wracking sobs, i took comfort in the fact that literature truly is again becoming one of the few relevant artforms to reflect the contemporary human experience.

Yay!

• Book Jacket: The Lost Book of Adana Moreau
    The Lost Book of Adana Moreau
    by Michael Zapata
    In the 1920s, Adana Moreau, a Dominican immigrant living in New Orleans, begins writing a gloriously...
  • Book Jacket: The Glass Hotel
    The Glass Hotel
    by Emily St. John Mandel
    Vincent—a young woman named for American poet and playwright Edna St. Vincent Millay—is ...
  • Book Jacket: Saint X
    Saint X
    by Alexis Schaitkin
    In the opening pages of her debut novel, Alexis Schaitkin introduces the reader to an idyllic beach ...
  • Book Jacket: The Bear
    The Bear
    by Andrew Krivak
    The Bear feels like a novel I've been awaiting for years. I received the book and its message with ...

I Want You to Know We're Still Here
    by Esther Safran Foer

"A vivid testimony to the power of memory."
    - Kirkus (starred review)

Miss Austen
    by Gill Hornby

A witty, poignant novel about Cassandra Austen and her famous sister, Jane.

The Henna Artist
by Alka Joshi

The Henna Artist opens a door into a world that is at once lush and fascinating, stark and cruel.

Win Mostly Dead Things

Mostly Dead Things
by Kristen Arnett

"Hilarious, deeply morbid, and full of heart."
- BuzzFeed