We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of The Bielski Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

The Bielski Brothers

The True Story of Three Men Who Defied the Nazis, Saved 1,200 Jews, and Built a Village in the Forest

by Peter Duffy

The Bielski Brothers by Peter Duffy X
The Bielski Brothers by Peter Duffy

Jul 2003, 320 pages

May 2004, 336 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Bielski Brothers

Roger Pence

This well-written book details the conviction of three of the Bielski brothers as they struggle to find deliverance from the Nazis. Tuvia and two of his brothers find their way, driven by an iron will and a little good luck, to help save hundreds of Jews during WWII. The tale is grim in places, graphically explaining the ruthlessness of the Nazis and their efforts to eradicate the Jews. The Bielski Brothers could have been a servicable action story with story-book heros, but its author, Peter Duffy, reveals the good and the bad. Tuvia had to make some tough choices--choices that, 50 years later and are hard to accept but possible to understand. With each page of the book, Duffy makes you feel the frustration, the fear, and the uncertainly of all those desperate people in the woods.

The Bielski brothers' story puts our own good life in perspective. The next time I catch myself bellyachin' about my job, the service in a restaurant, something dumb one of my kids did, or that my taxes are too high, I'll think of the Bielskis and be grateful that I have it so good.

Danielle Bielski, please give your family my love and respect.
Danielle Bielski

Finally a book that does the incredible story of my grandfather and his brothers justice.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: One Hour of Fervor
    One Hour of Fervor
    by Muriel Barbery
    Set during multiple decades across the turn of the 21st century, One Hour of Fervor follows Haru, a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Ascent
    The Ascent
    by Adam Plantinga
    Adam Plantinga's brilliant debut novel, The Ascent, introduces readers to former Detroit police ...
  • Book Jacket: The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    by Derek B. Miller
    Derek B. Miller's sixth novel, The Curse of Pietro Houdini, opens in the town of Cassino, Italy, in ...
  • Book Jacket: Our Moon
    Our Moon
    by Rebecca Boyle
    In Our Moon: How Earth's Celestial Companion Transformed the Planet, Guided Evolution, and Made Us ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Clytemnestra
by Costanza Casati
A feminist Greek retelling about the most notorious heroine of the ancient world and the events that forged her into a legendary queen.

Members Recommend

Strong Passions
    by Barbara Weisberg

Shocking revelations of a wife's adultery in 19th New York explode in an incendiary trial exposing the upper-crust and its secrets.

Help Wanted
    by Adelle Waldman

From the best-selling author of The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. comes a funny, eye-opening tale of work in contemporary America.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)