Reader reviews and comments on The Greatest Generation, plus links to write your own review.

The Greatest Generation

May 2001, 412 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for The Greatest Generation

Ranae

The Greatest Generation
Reading this book started as a assignment to write a review about in world geography, but to me it went much farther than that. There was a book selection to choose from and most people in my 9th grade class chose this book or The Millionaire Next Door. When I began reading it I was intrigued by it and took it everywhere with me, at one point it even brought me to tears. I now believe this was the greatest generation and have a new found respect for my elders. I strongly recommend this book and think that everyone should read it at one time or another.
Ron Hartman

Tom Brokaw Needs To Write One More Book
I have the title for his next book, "How America's Greatest Generation Has Screwed Their Grandchildren", subtitled...."Social Security and Medicare, The Two Greatest Ponzi Scheme's Ever".They worked hard but never had the guts to properly fund their "Golden Years", and now their children and grandchildren are paying the price.What do you think?
ML

This is a wonderful book to read. It's very informative and a pleasure to read! It's a book for the young and old.
Annie Ahsoak

This is a greatest book that I have ever read. I would encourage people to read this book. Once I started to read it, I couldn't put it down.
Annie Ahsoak, 19 years old
Greg

Great Book, read it for my College Intro History class here at Western KY U. Awesome accounts by an awesome broadcaster!
Mark B.

I, like many other students, had to read this book for my 11th grade U.S. History class. At first glance the book seemed big and boring, but after reading the first section, I was hooked. The book really could have been put together by anyone, because it is compiled of stories from WW2 vets, but even so, I rate this book 5 out of 5. I always knew that sacrifice was present in WW2 but I had no idea what this generation was put through. I now have amazing respect for the WW2 generation. I also think that they are the greatest generation, so far. I know that if my generation were put through a WW2 type of war, we would step up to the challenge. God bless America!
Kara

My whole high school is reading this book. On the first day when they gave them to us, I looked around the room, saw eye rolls, mock snores, and heavy sighs. But after reading the first few pages, there was silence. By the end of the year, we will have read the whole book. My high school is brand new, and in it's first year it has achieved what centuries of detention could not: respect. Our designated charity of the school year is to raise enough to make a sizable contribution to the effort to build a memorial in the capitol commemorating those Tom Brokaw wrote about.
Kristen Halford

I had to read the book for history class. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was well written and interesting. I agree with Mr. Brokaw to some extent, but I do believe that each generation has its strengths and downfalls and it's hard to give such a definitive title to a single generation. I am very grateful to WWII veterans for maintaining freedom in the world. However, I think that if another crisis of the magnitude of WWII were to occur today, my generation would be able to pull together and face the challenge. Look at how the country pulled todether after 9/11, in mourning and patriotism. Many poeople I knew flew to NYC to help in the clean up. Americans raised money for the victims' families. For the past year, Americans have contributed and sacrificed many things, including the boys over in Afghanistan.

• Book Jacket: Calypso
    Calypso
    by David Sedaris
    David Sedaris' Calypso is every bit as hilarious and irreverent, as clever and incisive, as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Word Is Murder

A Place for Us
    by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Win If You See Me, Don't Say Hi

If You See Me, Don't Say Hi by Neel Patel

Patel's stories introduce a bold and timely new literary voice.

A P Saved I A P E