Reader reviews and comments on The Namesake, plus links to write your own review.

The Namesake

Sep 2004, 304 pages

There are currently 14 reader reviews for The Namesake

Megan Cruz

Loved it!
If you are looking for a way to better understand and help you connect to your family and cultural then The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri is the book for you. Lahiri does a wonderful job of giving you a well thought out and organized story of a young boy named Gogol who grows up into a man while searching for his identity and dealing with family relationships.

This novel is a great fictional depiction of very real circumstances and the trials of being a first generation child in America. It shows how hard it is to be a young kid in the United States and trying to keep cultural traditions and values. The novel clearly depicts how there is always a constant struggle no matter how long one has been living in this country. This is a book about life, and life can sometimes be boring and at parts the book is slow but if you keep reading in the end you will get a great message out of it.

I would definitely recommend this book because it is a very well written novel. It is a very moving and inspiration story that becomes very memorable. The language she uses to express her thoughts is very well crafted. Lahiri really has a way of making the reader want to keep turning the page
ND

Taken from a different angle
I think of this book as reflecting an intricate relationship in a family originally from a culture quite different from that in the U.S. Of partiuclar significance is the relationship between Gogol (after reading the book it seemed to me that he would have after all liked to have been Gogol) and his father. The best thing is that throughout the book, this relationship is however not talked about or portrayed in an excessive manner - it is quite subtle and that is what makes it elegant. The last couple of pages are absolutely exquisite especially when Gogol recovers the book that his father had presented to him on his birthday.

The setting of the book starting from 1968 to the new millenium seamlessly transports the reader through the decades. Additionally, I am sure that quite a few Indians will be able to identify with the apparently limitless pot-lucks that seem to be a regular weekend feature no matter where one is this country. The description was quite humorous and stark at the same time.

Overall, I think it was absolutely unputdownable and quite a refreshing read. This is not a movie and what others might say about dragging a little bit, I think that the digressions only lent more flavor to the brew.
DJM

I was completely caught up in the story--couldn't put down the book. It made me laugh out loud at some points, and I even shed some tears (and I am NOT the kind of person who cries at sad movies!). I agree with the reader who found Ashoke, the father, especially touching, saying so little, keeping so much to himself, and yet giving so much out of love. In some ways, it might have been predictable, but I think Lahiri was trying to make some points about the experience of second generation Americans and Indian culture in particular. It would be hard to do that without characters whose lives are somewhat recognizable. I found it beautifully written and completely engaging.
Orange Blossom

I loved this book on many levels. The writing is exquisite, the characters real and engaging, and fleshed out via little details. I was very moved by the parents, the father especially. I think people of any age could relate to it, particularly those whose parents immigrated from other parts of the world. Reading this book has made me reflect on and appreciate my own parents more. It has also made me think about the forces that shape people without their awareness.
Dr. Sahebrao Gawali

The Net of culture and identity
The book is a very good weaving of emotional and identical crisis. In the story, I have seen the reflection of internal quarrel of the main character about his own identity in the new country.
gurpreet

review by gurpreet
I appreciate that an American audience might think they are learning a great deal about Bengali people, but Bengalis themselves can see the gaping holes in Lahiri's understanding. Bengalis like to think they are artistic and religious - these are the sorts of things that bring immigrant Bengalis together - and communities are usually formed for these reasons. The Bengalis in 'The Namesake' are one-dimensional - Bengali identity to them is only about the superficial things they have
Maya

Perfect
The Book is beautiful. I am from India, and so I would say the story is so true. I like the novel so much that I chose this to be my Book Review in class as well as my Project......Go Gogol !
Sam

Immigration Conundrum
Overall, I enjoyed the book, though I felt it began and ended a bit sluggishly. The author has crafted a picture and story that seems to flow from a personal understanding of several cultures without focusing on only one, or writing from only one perspective.

The most probable reaction to this book will likely be a focus on relationships. They are reasonably well-defined, and they are a bit more intricate than is often the case. The reader can easily understand the feelings of 3 of the 4 main characters, though Ashoke is a bit obscure.

I was most struck by the mother Ashima as a character, and by the relationship of Ashima and Ashoke as a picture. And, from those, I was driven to consider the state of immigration in the US today. There is such conflicted tension between the old and the new for immigrants. Many come here, and because of the vast freedoms granted Americans, cling fastly to the old cultures. Yet the children, and the breadwinner are thrust daily into American life, essentially becoming people vastly different from their 'origins.' Especially for the young people, the need to fit in was highlighted in this book.

That left Ashima in a very isolated situation. She still had a bit of connection to her husband, who seemed able to inhabit both worlds; however, the children of the story are completely, and almost thoroughly, American for the part of their lives that are 'lived' in the time of the novel.

I think immigration must have been simpler before fast, easy travel and instanteous communication, when people came here to seek better lives AND become Americans, and not just to accrue professional status, or simply a paying job. We consistently read about families of past times that were headed by parents who insisted their children assimilate, learn the language and customs, and were often embarassed by their own inability to speak English.

As someone actively tracing my own roots I can see a downside to each of those circumstances in the long term; but, looking from an empathetic and humanitarian view, this book says to me that creating a complete and fulfilling life requires one to dwell primarily in the present, even geographically and culturally.

Join & Save $10!

Discover books that entertain, engage & enlighten. One-year membership: $29

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Book Collectors
    The Book Collectors
    by Delphine Minoui
    About halfway through The Book Collectors, I was disappointed. I came into the book with a ...
  • Book Jacket: Blue Sky Kingdom
    Blue Sky Kingdom
    by Bruce Kirkby
    Who hasn't dreamed of escaping all of the trappings of today's modern life and finding a secluded, ...
  • Book Jacket: My Heart Underwater
    My Heart Underwater
    by Laurel Fantauzzo
    Corazon — Cory — Tagubio is a Filipina-American teenager living with her family in ...
  • Book Jacket: Black Sun
    Black Sun
    by Rebecca Roanhorse
    Reading the first book in a series is always difficult because readers know that, by definition, it ...

The Smallest Lights in the Universe
    by Sara Seager

A luminous memoir by an MIT astrophysicist who must reinvent herself in the wake of tragedy.

The Exiles
by Christina Baker Kline

Win This Book!
Win Jack

Return to Gilead with Jack, the instant New York Times bestseller

Enter to win Marilynne Robinson's latest novel in her classic series.

I G I O Ear A O T O