MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Isabel's Daughter, plus links to write your own review.

Isabel's Daughter

by Judith Ryan Hendricks

Isabel's Daughter by Judith Ryan Hendricks X
Isabel's Daughter by Judith Ryan Hendricks

Jun 2003, 385 pages
    Jul 2004, 400 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Isabel's Daughter

Billie Z.

This is an absolutely wonderful book. This is the story of Avery James, the daughter of an artist (Isabel) who was deposited in a Foundling home at birth. Avery grows up painfully and constantly at a distance from those around her. The novel is set in Santa Fe and other small towns in New Mexico and what wonderful, beautiful locales they are! The book offers just the perfect amount of mysticism that fits the locales and the characters. Judi Hendricks has a wonderful ability to make you feel strongly about her characters and their actions (whether you agree or disagree) - yet you always want them to succeed. I felt the same way about Wyn in her first book, “Bread Alone”. The Avery you know through most of the book isn’t one I found myself caring for, but the Avery she becomes is a wonderful woman who finally allows herself to be the strong, kind, loving woman she always could have been under different circumstances. Read this book!!!
Theresa

I love this book. More than that, I love the way this book is written. Judith Ryan Hendricks had my attention from the moment I started the book until the second I put it down. Reading is one of my favorite past times, and I finish at least 2 books a week. This book , I finished on one Sunday afternoon - I could not put it down. I have not yet read her first novel, but I will be reading it in the very near future.

• Book Jacket: In the Dream House
    In the Dream House
    by Carmen Maria Machado
    In the introduction to In the Dream House, Carmen Maria Machado (a National Book Award finalist for ...
  • Book Jacket: Father of Lions
    Father of Lions
    by Louise Callaghan
    Our readers have given high marks to Father of Lions by Louise Callaghan. Out of 21 reviewers, 18 ...
    Girl, Woman, Other
    by Bernardine Evaristo
    As we meet Amma, a 50-something playwright finally experiencing mainstream success in Bernardine ...
  • Book Jacket: The Revisioners
    The Revisioners
    by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton
    The chapters of Margaret Wilkerson Sexton's second novel, The Revisioners, alternate between three ...

The Lost Man
by Jane Harper

"Strong characters, riveting plot and an honest look at life in the Australian outback make it easy to give this 5-stars!"
—BookBrowse

Creatures
    by Crissy Van Meter

Set on the eve of an island wedding, this provocative debut novel exerts a pull as strong as the tides.

Lady Clementine
    by Marie Benedict

An illuminating look at one of history's most unusual and extraordinary women, Clementine Churchill.

Win The Adventurer's Son

Publishing Soon!
The Adventurer's Son

"A brave and marvelous book. A page-turner that will rip your heart out."
--Jon Krakauer